Workshop
Ask a question

What natives to plant?

Pk39
Just Starting Out

What natives to plant?

I have cleared a 1 metre square in garden and would like to put natives in there. FULL Sun in summer and unfortunately retic automatically 3 times per week. I have no control over watering as I am in retirement village. Patricia 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Natives

Hi Patricia (@Pk39)

Welcome to Workshop. We're pleased to have you join us. 

Can you please clarify that you are wanting recommendations on what plants to buy? If so, where are you based? And are there any restrictions on what you can plant like nearby obstructions or other plants and trees? It would help community members even more to provide advice if you could share a photo of the spot. 

Many thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Pk39
Just Starting Out

Thank you Jason. I live in Watermans Bay WA . I do love Australian natives and my concern with that is overwatering from the reticulation. There is a frangipani and some roses beyond this area and a small pavers around the edge. I cleared this particular are and ha e fertilised it with dynamic lifter. I am a backyard gardener so yes I am needing help in choices of plants. I am not sure If I have the know how to add a photo but I will certainly try Jason. I have sent two photos by e mail, I hope that will help. Regards patricia

1.jpg

2.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for the extra detail @Pk39. I have added your photos for you. All you have to do to add photos to your post is hit the Upload Images button and then select the photo you want to add. 

Let me tag some of our very helpful members who might like to assist you in choosing some native plants for your garden. 

@Noelle@robchin@Adam_W@greygardener 

Thanks again,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Pk39
Just Starting Out

Thank you Jason so very much. Patricia

robchin
Becoming a Leader

Hi Patricia.
Jason has copied me in.
Good on you for planting some native plants. You will be promoting local birds into your area which is great.

Just for clarification you say above 1 sq meter. Looking at the picture though it looks a lot bigger than that - maybe 10 sq meters? With 1 sq meter you won't get a lot in there. With 10 sq meters you'll be able to do a mini-garden.

I wouldn't be worried too much if it gets watered 3 times a week. Many natives will be OK with this. Here are some suggestions:

There are thousands of natives. I've listed a few basic names but go to your local Nursery or Garden Centre and they'll point you in the right direction.

Ground-covers - Low Growing Grevilleas, Low Growing Banksias (Eg Birthday Candles, Cherry Candles)
Grasses/Strappy plants: Kangaroo Paw, Lomandra
Small Shrubs: Low growing Callistemon (eg. Little John), Isopogon, Dampiera, Low-growing Acacias
Medium Shrubs: Eremophila, Banksia
Tall Shrubs: Callistemon eg. Kings Park Special, Acacias

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects