Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Need help with my geranium

Ann02180515
Getting Established

Need help with my geranium

Hi friends, I don't know what' wrong with my geranium. Could you please recommend some treatment methods.

IMG20211026165543.jpg

Thank you in advance.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Need help with my geranium

Hello @Ann02180515

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you so much for joining us and sharing your question about the health of your Geranium.

Those sunken brown spots are caused by bacterial leaf spots. It often occurs in the warm wet season. I recommend removing the damaged leaves and spraying the plant with Yates 200ml Liquid Copper Fungicide. Please make sure to use proper PPE when handling this product. If your Geranium is in a pot, I suggest moving it to a brighter area away from the shade. They don't like too much humidity. Do not mix the infected leaves in your compost, throw them straight into the bin. 

Let me tag our experienced members @Noelle and @Adam_W for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Ann02180515
Getting Established

Thank you so much.😊

I think @EricL has pretty much nailed it there.
Important thing to remember is that geraniums are full-sun plants. You can also reduce fungal problems by water around the base & avoiding getting water on the leaves.

Hi everyone, I kept meaning to take photos of my geraniums as they to have that awful rust thing going on. Thankyou Anne and Eric for reading my mind. I did have an inkling it was a bacterial or fungal infection. I must tell my gardener that morning fresh won’t cut the mustard. I separated the worst and have been spraying it with white oil and removing the leaves. This didn’t work so I have been removing whole stems . What a waste, if only I had the correct solution in the first place . Thankyou b🌺

@Ann02180515 

hi, how did you go with your geraniums. I spent all day yesterday pruning the centre of them so the air can circulate. I donned disposable gloves a container of alcohol 99% isopropyl and some sizzors. Every time I went to another plant I put the sizzors in the solution and changed my gloves . I moved  them apart from each other and sprayed the living daylights out of them. I had thrips as well so I killed two birds with one stone. I wish you all the best brenda🌺

MYC
Building a Reputation

Wow, thanks @Adam_W.  My geraniums have same problems for so long.  Now I realize I should  STOP watering over top of plants.   I water the bases of my roses but didn't think to apply the same to geraniums.  Thank you. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects