Workshop
Ask a question

How to improve the health of my peace lily?

Mlata
Finding My Feet

How to improve the health of my peace lily?

The leaves of my peace lily looks like this:

need suggestions to improve the overall health of the plant. Thanks in advance.

image.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Peace lily

Hi @Mlata,

Welcome to Workshop. It's great to have you join us. We trust that you'll receive loads of helpful information, advice and inspiration for your projects around the house and garden.

Have you seen the article How to grow and care for a peace lily on the Bunnings website? It should contain some valuable advice for you. 

Could you also please confirm whether the plant has been outside? If so, where are you based and has it been in the sun? A little more detail will help our wonderful members to provide you with more specific advice. 

Many thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Mlata
Finding My Feet

Thanks for advising. I just went through the article.

To answer your question, I kept the pot in limited sun only yesterday for 1-2 hour or so. I always keep the pot in shade as it’s an indoor plant. I live in lane cove.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for the extra detail. Let me tag @Noelle to see if she might have some suggestions for improving the health of your plant.

Jason

Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi  @Mlata 

Your Peace Lily isn't travelling well.  The potting mix looks very dry and doesn't appear to be a suitable mix for this plant. While Peace Lilies are not all that fussy, they do prefer a finer mix (less chunky bark) and one that contains a controlled release fertiliser that will release nutrients over an extended period of time to ensure consistent growth.

I'd suggest repotting into a premium quality mix and then watering at least once or twice a week over the warmer months - adding sufficient water each time so the potting mix is thoroughly wet and excess water is draining out the base of the pot. Don't leave the pot standing in water - empty the saucer about 30 minutes after watering.

Peace Lilies do not like direct sun but do need good ambient light - make sure the pot isn't in a dark corner. They also enjoy warmth and humidity - lightly misting the foliage every day or two will keep them happy.

The leaves on your plant look like they have been chewed - check the undersides for caterpillars or other chewing bugs and remove any you find.

A bit of TLC, without going over the top, should work wonders - these plants are pretty tough and will cope with almost anything so long as they are kept moist.

Thanks for the valuable suggestions Noelle.
Can you please suggest the potting mix from bunning that I can use?
The one that’s there in the pot is from bunning only and I always use organic potting mix.

Finding My Feet

173871C2-99B4-4316-A7FB-A92D4CA7F2C9.jpeg

Hi @Mlata 

Peace lilies are beautiful, ive had one in my bedroom now for nearly 3yrs now, thrives on the natural day light it get, never direct sunlight though. Ive repotted mine once since ive had it and id recommend the 'Osmocote Professional Premium Potting Mix' from bunnings, its perfect for peace lilies as it drains really well when u water it which is needed for this plant.

Ive never used Organic mixes myself before but i think they are more suited for vegetables n fruit growing plants.

Anyway best of luck with yours, they are quite a hardy plant in the right conditions, i think if you repot yours in some quality soil and keep it out of any direct sunlight will see it growing nicely in no time. 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Many thanks for joining in the discussion and sharing your experience @33. I'm sure @Mlata really appreciates it!

We are looking forward to reading more of your posts soon as it sounds like you have a lot of knowledge and experience to share. Feel free to also post anytime you need a hand with a project around the house or garden. We have clever and creative members sharing helpful advice and inspirational projects on the site every day, so we're sure you'll fit right in. 

Welcome,

Jason

Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @Mlata 

Have to agree with @33 - organic potting mixes are best used for vegies, herbs and other edibles rather than ornamental plants. These mixes are primarily composted organic materials (including manures) that holds moisture well - perhaps too well - and can provide shelter for insects like fungus gnats because of the high organic content.

The Osmocote Premium is a good choice as are other "Premium" potting mixes - look for the five red ticks logo on the bag. The mix must be free draining but, at the same time, able to hold sufficient moisture to keep plants in good condition for several days.

Keep an eye out for a new Osmocote Indoor Potting Mix that doesn't contain any composted material and is therefore less likely to harbour fungus gnats and other insects. It should be in Bunnings very soon.

MakeItYours
Bunnings
Bunnings

There's some more tips in this video @Mlata.

Hope you find it helpful.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects