Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Plant suggestions for hanging baskets

NothingSurvives
Getting Established

Plant suggestions for hanging baskets

I have many hanging baskets around the edge of a large covered outdoor area.  This area does get a lot of sun during most of the day.  I've changed the plants in these baskets so many times I'm almost bankrupt.  They need to be along the edge of the area is necessary as heads get knocked, so I figure I'm planting the wrong choice of plants that do not tolerate almost all day sun.  I thought geraniums would thrive but not so.  I have to accept my life sentence for plant murder but surely there are some great plants that could thrive in a sunny area in hanging baskets or I give up the whole idea and get pots and keep my feet on the ground.  I'm wearing thin of so often re-doing this.  I have a couple of pics of when it was looking great in early days.  Now RIP.  Poor plants.  p.s.  All plants bought at my local Bunnings.......ooooops  Thanks.

Hopes of herbs RIPHopes of herbs RIP

A trial at a cutting - deadA trial at a cutting - dead

2 of these now drooping - sad2 of these now drooping - sad

Good days - happy hereGood days - happy here

renef
Just Starting Out

Re: Plant suggestions for hanging baskets

What is the name of the plant in the third photo please?

Hello @renef

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fabulous to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about the hanging plant baskets.

Let me tag @NothingSurvives to make them aware of your question. Looking at the photo and the shape of the leaves, I think it is a Christmas Cactus. Do you have your own set of hanging plants or are you just starting out? 

Let me tag our experienced members @Noelle and @Adam_W for their opinion.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Christmas Cactus - Zygocactus - Schlumbergera (genus name)  It could be any one of six or seven species or a hybrid. There are hundreds of forms and colours available.

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Followers of this popular discussion might like to check out @Noelle's guide on How to choose plants for hanging baskets which contains a wide range of suggestions, along with handy tips.

As always, feel free to ask any questions. We would be happy to assist. 

Akanksha

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects