Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Raised garden bed using pine sleepers

LisasGarden
Making a Splash

Raised garden bed using pine sleepers

The next step in my veggie garden journey was raised garden beds, to kelp out Audrey our Golden and the rabbits without the need for fencing.  Hubby built them out of Sienna pine sleepers from Bunnings which are food safe . We filled the bed with compost and 2 metres of veggie soil from our local supplier.

I  planted some seedlings  a few days ago, perfect timing with this lovely rain. I planted 3 types of beans , carrots, Okinawa Spinach, strawberries and some coriander and sage. The other end has the Brassicas with some onions, coriander and sage to help repel the unwanted bugs and encourage the wanted and white pansies masquerading as butterflies (apparently white cabbage moths are territorial) Time will tell if the companion planting works. I also moved my Jostaberry and Loganberry into this bed. 🤣

I pulled out the tomato’s in the small raised beds and removed the fence. This will be used now for herbs, flowers and veggies that Audrey won’t eat. 🤣🤣

 (not sure why the photos upload  out of order 🤣)

46A4B7B0-4585-4980-BC26-3558B4C4357B.jpeg

C4D8055A-9DD9-452B-B554-3DF580841A2D.jpeg

F15A4667-5F89-4970-BBDC-26C5BDE0F49B.jpeg

C2021BDD-1869-4030-91EC-3D6C156C4DC2.jpeg

9AC860D7-3396-47D3-BF1E-8C33DDFFFE22.jpeg

FCD2943E-D734-41D0-BD7B-D1C22442B54A.jpeg

F0060796-115B-4750-86DD-E02E046E6CF5.jpeg

45889C65-3D44-4B2B-BD56-0CFD5BC6933A.jpeg

C58C34B2-E8DF-4105-855A-34257C649365.jpeg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Raised garden bed using pine sleepers

Great work @LisasGarden and many thanks for sharing.

We have a new member of our family who likes to dig and eat our plants, too. Your raised beds look fantastic and I'm sure will inspire plenty of Bunnings Workshop members. We will feature your post on our Project Gallery. Looking forward to seeing updates of your harvests. 

Thanks again,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Sensational @LisasGarden Thi is fantastic. Enjoy your home grown edibles 🌿💚😁

Thanks, hopefully they grow well 🤣

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Those are some really solid looking garden beds your husband has created there. I trust you were both very pleased with how they turned out.

I'll be looking at pulling out my tomatoes over the next few weeks as they appear to be just about done. Now I need to decide what I'll be planting for the next season.

Many thanks for sharing and providing some great inspiration to the community.

Mitchell

Raised Veggie patch Mulching

I picked up some Sugarcane mulch today with a little help from Karl Lagerfeld @cocochanelandkarl Last time with the barrels I used  Lucerne Mulch. The Sugarcane is a bit easier to work with around the small seedlings and also more value for money. Had to get some Catgrass of course for Karl too 🤣

4D47070C-C463-4B19-85F4-26984CFBC365.jpeg

913BF330-376A-4228-993E-D181C0DEE58D.jpeg

B8381E38-B70A-48D4-81CF-35BD6A481950.jpeg

11438CB7-32AD-454F-89D0-25115D1EE3D6.jpeg

Re: Raised Veggie patch Mulching

Sugarcane is my go-to for mulching veggies @LisasGarden. I find a nice thick layer holds in so much moisture and stops the soil from drying out too quickly.

I must say Karl looks very pleased with your cat grass purchase.

Thanks for sharing.

Mitchell

chels222
Just Starting Out

Hi Lisa, @LisasGarden 

Your garden bed looks great! I have been looking at the metal ones at bunnings but I would much prefer something more natural like these.

Can you please tell me how your husband joined the sleepers? What bolts/screws etc did he use?

Thanks!

Chelsea

Hi Mitchell, @MitchellMc 

Can you tell me what screws/bolts you think would have been used to put this together? Its hard to see in the photos and I don't have any idea what to use!

Thanks!

Chelsea

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @chels222. It's a pleasure to have you join us, and many thanks for your question.

Hopefully, @LisasGarden might be able to provide that information for us. Although it's hard to tell, I suspect they might have used something similar to a Zenith M10 x 130mm Tech-Shield Coach Screw. They would be suitable for joining 75mm thick sleepers. 

You should find this step-by-step article useful: How to build a raised garden bed by @Adam_W

I look forward to following along with your project. Please let us know if you need further assistance or have questions.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects