Workshop
Ask a question

How to remove stubborn weeds?

Housereno1
Finding My Feet

How to remove stubborn weeds?

I’ve recently moved to Mackay in Queensland and bought a house that needs a lot of tlc. I would like to get my yard into shape and some garden in but my biggest problem at the moment is the yard is full of sensitive weed and even my dogs won’t go out in it as it’s so prickly. My neighbour, an old farmer from the area told me the only way to get rid of it is to pull it out making sure to get the tap root out. This is not an easy job and takes time. Any other suggestions as to what to do? Any help would be appreciated.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Removing stubborn weeds

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Housereno1. It's amazing to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about removing weeds.

It's great to hear that you've received some local advice, as I trust they've likely got great experience with this issue. Would you mind posting a picture of this weed so our members have a better understanding of how they could assist? If we can't offer a chemical treatment solution, then there might be specific tools that would help remove these stubborn weeds. We have a four-prong Fiskars weeder tool that's fantastic at gripping and pulling out various weeds. Its action pulls the weeds directly up and out and it would be worth checking to see whether the motion will remove the taproot as well.

Keen to hear more about this issue.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Housereno1
Finding My Feet

Here are some photos that I took. Sensitive weed is the plant that closed up when you touch it.

8E81CF6A-3A83-4019-8F23-9A52A5887886.jpeg

D2DBC9C8-9934-4799-BF6C-878510FE7006.jpeg

That looks to be Mimosa pudica @Housereno1. Here's a fact sheet on them.

As you've mentioned, control measures involve digging it out and making sure the root is removed, and herbicides can be effective if you thoroughly wet all leaf surfaces. Make sure not to disturb the plant before application, as if the leaves fold up before the herbicide goes on, it will be ineffective. You might like to try Zero weedkiller in an applicator brush. However, the action of touching the leaves will likely activate the closing reflex very quickly. If this is the case, you could use a spray, but you'll need to use cardboard to prevent overspray onto your surrounding grass, as this product will kill it too.

Let me mention a couple of our horticultural experts, @Noelle and @Adam_W, to see if they have any thoughts.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects