Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

The cacti obsession is real

ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

The cacti obsession is real

My obsession with cacti and succulents hasn't wavered and I'm struggling to get my hands on some of the rarities I desire. Here are a few of my mates.

20190716_171050.jpg 20190721_125816.jpg 20190728_112429.jpg 20190728_165820.jpg 20190729_172501.jpg 20190729_172601.jpg

Are there any Perth/WA members here that can recommend good/secret suppliers in WA? I've got a few good spots but I'm always looking for more :smile: with a particular interest in the rare and exotic.

I'm also after some large and healthy cacti for my pool area. I have large San Pedro and would like some blue variety as well as another large Candelabra and a Saguaro if possible.

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: The cacti obsession is real

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @LiRey85. It's fabulous to have you join us and many thanks for jumping into the conversation.

Let me mention @ProjectPete, so he is notified of your question. If you haven't already seen it, it would be worth checking out Pete's Feature fences discussion where he used some of these cacti. The project is simply amazing.

You can take large cuttings and propagate them fairly easily. If you have seen any huge mature cacti, you might enquire with the owner to see if they'd let you take a limb.

As a cacti lover myself, I look forward to hearing more about your landscaping project and would encourage you to let us know if you'd like to share or need any assistance.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Owys in Bunbury has great specimens and I always pick something up from there when we go down south.

Karnup Nursery has a great range, decent prices and awesome service.

There's a guy named Mark base din Iluka who has huge range of Dragon Trees and some cacti - depend son your budget really.

What are you looking for @LiRey85 ?

----------
Handy and helpful

@MitchellMc this reminds me - I need to post a progress photo of the cacti in front of that fence - they've gone bananas. Will try get something up later today.

----------
Handy and helpful

Thanks so much

 Oh thanks for the recommendations. Unfortunately this is our problem. Everyone that sells them are miles away. We live in the hills so driving to bunbury is a bit of a mission 🤣 

i’m mainly after larger specimens like fence posts, san pedros (i’de love some blue) large barrels ect. 

finding that everything is very expensive for the sizes we want 🤔

i’ll attach some pics of our collection so far. We are also struggling to find gravel mulch that we like 🤭

C6EC69A4-59A8-4CD1-AC0C-8848F761F5F5.jpeg

EE3C2965-7EAD-43B4-BD2E-5F380773D9BE.jpeg

  we also had to cut my large euphorbia ingen because he got some kind of rot 😢😫 waiting for his off cuts to dry so we can try again but he’ll be much shorter 🥺

C2339A96-F778-4229-AA59-1BE705BA1CFD.jpeg

D65118ED-8C94-4CA6-9056-4FC86BBEA67D.jpegthe potted cacti will be going in the ground but definitely need more 😅

980A90FB-D659-40CF-A790-11A0577B34B8.jpeg

 this is the gravel that we would love but we’ve only been able to find it at bunnings in bags. Really need a couple of trailer loads. Found everything to be too dark/red 😕

Pretty significant growth since being put in the ground, particularly middle and right cacti.

The San Pedros on the left were put in the ground as cuttings (no roots) and are already growing, flowering and the smallest cutting already has a pup.

20210128_060941.jpg

----------
Handy and helpful

I've got a 250mm Golden Barrel and a 350mm Blue Barrel - beauties. Are you in the local FB Groups for cacti/succulents @LiRey85 ?

----------
Handy and helpful

Oh thank you. Yes! I’de be very interested. Can u give me the pricing please?

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects