Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

The easiest vegetables to grow

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

The easiest vegetables to grow

Tomato.png

It was great to see in our recent Workshop poll that many community members already grow their own backyard produce.

But for those who either feel too time-poor to grow vegies or lack confidence to give it a try, please let us know what you think are the easiest ways to get started. 

What are your tips for the easiest vegetables to grow? \

What other advice can you share with community members who would like to get started growing their own food? 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

Re: Your tips for the easiest veggies to grow

@QuailFlock, how silly am I? I'd seen that before on the Bunnings site, & dismissed it, thinking that it was a seeding tray, completely overlooking that it was 2m x 1m. :embarassed:

As you say it's ideal for a starter or apartment dweller, & it could be raised by a DIY stand, or:  The Vegepod Stand  (special order)

My tip for people starting out is don't get bogged down in research. I remember spending hours on google, trying to research everything. I ended up feeling so overwhelmed, I was actually stressing about planting the wrong things together, I was worried that I'd have to test PHs every week - I failed science in school lol.
So my advice is; start small, plant veggies that you'll eat and have fun while playing in dirt.
Kermit
Amassing an Audience

This should help beginners...

Very pleased with the first harvest from our Vegepod. We have been growing some veggies in the ground beside the pod and they haven't grown nearly as well. The main reason we got it though was to keep pests out, which seems to be working well. 

Jason

Vegepod1.jpg

anjali
Getting Established

Re: The easiest vegetables to grow

Hi Jason,

I'm new here and I'm longing to grow a vegetable garden in my apartment. I live in a studio in the city so I don't have enough space to create a proper vegetable patch. But I would like to start one if that's possible with pots and vege soil mixes we get online. Please do help if you have some ideas for me.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Welcome @anjali. It's great to have you join the community.

Does your apartment have a balcony? If so, does it get any sun? How much space do you have? If you can please provide as much detail as possible, our ever-helpful members will be more than happy to assist with recommendations and advice. 

Jason

anjali
Getting Established

Thanks for the response Jason.. I don't have a balcony.. but I think I can probably set something up in here.. please see the attached image.. it's by the window and I lift the blinds during the day for natural light to come in

15866616088627456511773594839808.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

That looks like a lovely space @anjali.

I would be looking at herbs that you can grow indoors, as well as lettuce greens, kale, carrots and maybe even give some mini tomatoes a try. You will find some more tips in this article about growing vegies and herbs in a small space, and I will tag some keen gardeners like @bergs and @Grub80 to see if they might like to share their thoughts. 

Good luck,

Jason

bergs
Making a Splash

Hi @anjali, welcome to Workshop.

There is good advice on the Bunnings website to explain how and what you need to grow herbs indoors.

Check out this site for the info.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/diy-advice/garden/planting-and-growing/how-to-grow-herbs-indoors

Be happy and care for your tools

Hi @anjali herbs will grow great in your window space. Most herbs do not like full harsh sun anyway, and thrive in a bit of shade. If anything, if you want to grown herbs indoors, choose suitable pots, good quality potting soil, fertiliser, water and tlc. All of my herbs are grown in pots as you can control their growth, and then they don’t get too woody, and you tend to use them more for your cooking. I learned a tip that for all indoor plants including herbs, water them in the bath with a shower head to copy the rain every now and then. Any indoor plants love this. Good luck with yours 🤞

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects