Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Tips for growing passionfruit

RosieW
Having an Impact

Tips for growing passionfruit

Passionfruit_flower07.jpg

I would really love to get a passionfruit going, but haven't had much success. I know they're heavy feeders so i prepared the soil thoroughly.

First one I planted about 7 years ago, died (I don't think it got enough sun). But the root stock is STILL popping up all over the place!

I tried again late last year - this time in its own garden bed in a sunny spot (to keep my dog out mainly) - again lots of compost, sheep manure. It died too.

The horticulturalist at Bunnings said it sounded like too much or too little water.  

I'd love to hear if others have had this happen to them too and any stories about what they do for happy healthy passionfruit.

fishingfan
Finding My Feet

Re: Tips for growing passionfruit

My partner has a secret when planting passion fruit, not sure Im suppose to share but any hows..once you've dug your hole for your plant place a cows liver in the hole and then your passion fruit on top and fill it up..simple. We had massive amounts of fruit and the new ones that have been planted are thriving. Its an old Italian trick but I tell you what it certainly has done the trick with ours.

robchin
Becoming a Leader

Re: No luck with passionfruit

Sorry to come late to this and I hope your new ones are doing better. Some great advice. I know this nursery (not a retail nursery) who is the largest supplier of Passionfruit in Australia. They send them all around the place. They have some great FAQ's which are worth looking at.
http://www.nelliekelly.com.au/faqs-about-passionfruit-vines.html
My best tip is to keep the roots cool with mulch. Also increases water holding.
They're worth the effort when you get them going.

@simondavis Do you know how long it take to grow fruits? My passionfruit look like overgrown but still no flowers no fruits at all

Peejay
Just Starting Out

Hi Rosie, my Dad lived in Melbourne and had a couple of passion fruit that thrived & produced so much fruit that we gave them away by the bagful! The variety he grew was Nelly Kelly. Good luck with yours & I hope you have success this time

Re: Tips for growing passionfruit

Thank you - I will never give up - i'm pretty sure I over fertilised. 

Thanks for that - a very good site. It may be a couple of years = but I will get there. This year I've concentrated on getting more insects into the garden, including lavender, so hopefully this time, the bees will do their thing too. 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @KAN15 and @Peejay,

Many thanks for joining in the discussion. I'm sure you'll get loads of helpful advice for your gardening and D.I.Y. projects around the house and garden from our clever and creative community members. Feel free to post whenever you need a hand or have something to share. We look forward to reading more about your projects and plans.

Welcome to Workshop,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Susanne
Just Starting Out

Here in Melbourne, I have had 2 healthy, fruitful Nelly Kelly passionfruit vines. However, no success replacing the last one over the past six years or so. Each time, new plants were totally stripped of their leaves and didn’t survive. Inspecting at night I observed earwigs swarming over them.
I’ve tried scrunched up newspaper and water and oil traps that didn’t work. Advice please.
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Susanne,

Welcome to Workshop. We're pleased to have you join the community and encourage you to post anytime you need a hand, whether it's a garden issue like this or need help with a D.I.Y. project inside your home. 

Let me tag @Adam_W for you who has provided brilliant advice on growing passionfruit earlier in this discussion thread. Hopefully Adam and other Workshop members will have some suggestions for you for keeping those earwigs at bay. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @Susanne & welcome.
Okay, this is an odd problem.
I'm actually not going to blame the earwigs for the destruction of the plants. I think they are just the likely suspect as you are seeing them & then the destruction follows.
Earwigs will eat plant matter but I have never heard of them stripping an entire plant. You would need a frightening number of them to do that & they generally only go for more tender material.
I’m actually thinking that this total defoliation is more likely caused by something bigger – large caterpillars or possums.
Sounds like the earwigs you have are introduced European earwig which is known to swarm. They are nocturnal so you can often find them hiding in mulch etc. during the day & get rid of them that way.
Here are some good tips from Sustainable Garden Australia on dealing with earwigs.

I reckon I'd by netting the next plant with some bird net & see if that works.
Let us know how you go & sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects