Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Watering system

Brian
Finding My Feet

Watering system

I've got a fairly large backyard. I dread every time summer comes around as I'm sure to lose some plants. Either that or I spend my entire evenings out their with a hose / moving the sprinkler around.

So if I want to put an irrigation system in what do I need to think about? Is it just a matter of measuring it out, then buying some hoses and connectors and a timer? I'm happy to put the hours in peicing it all together though be good to know what else I need to consider.

Thanks!

Re: Watering system

Yep, me, Jason. Keen to install a water irrigation system, but not sure what to do with the water flow test information? Presumably it dictates how many sprinklers and drippers I can have on a certain length of 19 cm polypipe. Do you know how this calculation works?

Thanks

GardnerJohn

That's great @GardenerJohn. I see you have also started a new discussion on this topic. I'm sure that Workshop community members will be happy to assist once you have done your water flow test. You might also like to share a sketch of your garden area. Please let me know if you have any trouble uploading a photo or getting the most from the Workshop site. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

How is your garden surviving in the hot weather?

Remember that when it comes to watering in February, do it first thing in the morning if you can. And a deep drink for your plants twice a week is better than more regular, shorter watering.

Jason

Hi Jason and other members...

I am just about to lay 100m of lawn, and want to retic it from a 40,000 litre water tank. The dimensions are 7m x 14m, and I have read heaps of articles on testing water flow, and how that dictates the number of sprinklers you can tun at one time, BUT I have not found a chart or table that shows the number of sprinklers related to the flow rate. IE if the flow rate is XX litres per minute (or hour) then you can run Y sprinklers.

Looking at pop ups not the driven ones. Could anyone point me in the right direction please for this info?

BIM_Engineer
Former Community Member

Hi @buccarasta
I wish sprinkler Fluid Dynamics was that simple

Start here

Sprinklers require a min of 200Kpa pressure

How to convert Litres per minute to KPa

TheSaltyreefer
Becoming a Leader

@Brian we have just finished installing a cheap irrigation system on our property for 32 fruit tree's and 2 taps in 2 of our 4 paddocks, very cheaply done and works a treat, we run it 2 wats manually and or a timer, if you need a hand with parts etc let me know

Hi @buccarasta,

Just checking in to see how you are going with your watering system. Do you need a hand with anything? We are looking forward to seeing how your project progresses.

Welcome to the community,

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects