Workshop
Ask a question

What's this fruit?

AndreaNg
Having an Impact

What's this fruit?

These fruit are growing on some lattice on our fence. The plant is on the neighbour's side so I don't know what it is. Does anyone know?

dunno.jpg

mystery.jpg

AndreaNg
Having an Impact

Re: What's this fruit?

I'm glad we never ate one. Turns out it was not a choko but a noxious weed called moth vine. It's poisonous!

https://weeds.dpi.nsw.gov.au/Weeds/MothVine

Helen
Having an Impact

Have done more reading on this pest, it is not choko, the leaves are different, cut in half they have fluffy seeds. It is poisonous!

charlotte1
Getting Established

What is this fruit? Is this edible?

My garden has this plant. What is the name? Is this fruit edible?

41AF82DB-5C05-485A-9EFB-B2CA7F0D2FE1.jpeg

Re: What is this fruit? Is this edible?

Hi @charlotte1,

Hope you are well.

I have moved your post to an existing discussion as I believe it is the same plant - a noxious weed called moth vine. 

Let me tag a couple of helpful members in @Noelle and @BradN to help confirm and if so, to suggest methods to remove it from your garden. You might also like to let us know where you are based as it could help in confirming the vine. 

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Sorry @AndreaNg , @darylhewston

Definitely NOT a choko.  It is, as suggested by Katie, moth vine and poisonous.  It should be removed before its fruits, which are velvety compared to the choko, mature and seeds distributed.

BradN
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: What is this fruit? Is this edible?

Hi @charlotte1 . Definitely DO NOT EAT this plant. As @Jason suggested, it is the poisonous moth vine (Araujia sericifera). 

If you're ever in the slightest doubt about whether something in your garden is edible, don't eat it. Many common garden plants and their fruits and seeds are highly toxic and can even kill you if you eat them. 

The simplest way to see that this is not a choko is that the shape of the leaves is completely different. 

Chokos are members of the cucumber and pumpkin family, and their leaves are very similar to the leaves of cucumber and pumpkin plants, as you can see in the Wikipedia article about chokos (chayote). 

But again, if you're ever in doubt, don't eat it.

Cheers,

Brad

wendyhood
Finding My Feet

It's a moth melon, never eat it or let cattle sheep or goats eat it or your vet bill will sky-rocket and the animal may not survive. 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @wendyhood. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for adding to the discussion.

I'm pleased to hear you're also well aware of the noxious nature of this plant. Certainly not something anyone would want in their backyard.

We look forward to hearing about your projects and plans around the home and garden. Please let us know if you ever need assistance or have something to share.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects