Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What should I use to replace pebbles over weed mat?

brendawebster44
Making a Splash

What should I use to replace pebbles over weed mat?

AD656BC5-BD60-4EB1-8F59-F3AD2684B2A4.jpeg

hi everyone, I have a weed mat with pebbles on top on one side of the garden. It is a high traffic area as the bins have to go over them and I need to get to the bins. I have noticed that even with care when I sweep up I get a few pebbles in the dirt and I can see the weed mat. What would be the most economical way to replace the pebbles. Plus trying to keep leafs off the pebbles is a nightmare 

DACD13E0-65AE-4DF3-A74D-D4BD51CFC11D.jpeg

AAD0F1E6-1AC3-41BE-9E94-E58CEAD8DE39.jpeg

10357FBB-E327-4B5D-92A2-B086C3408055.jpeg

    

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What should I use to replace pebbles over weed mat?

Hello @brendawebster44

As water and wind pass over your pebble path they eventually get redistributed, get carried away, and settle. I suggest using Tuscan Path 4-6mm 2kg White Mini Pebbles to top it up and to get it back to its old level. Use the Saxon 14T Garden Rake to spread and level the pebbles. The pebbles come in different colours and sizes. I suggest visiting your local store if there are no restrictions in your area. 

Check out these fantastic projects that our Workshop members have shared.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

hi Eric and everyone, thankyou for taking the time to help. Pebbles ordered just waiting to pick them up Ordered twice as many as the shed has a dirt floor so don’t use it. What a waste it’s a good size shed and waterproof so through everything out and will put some weedmat in there and pebbles on top just to free up the garage a bit.b🌺

Hi Eric the wise , I bought the pebbles and put them on top of the existing ones but my problem is the pebbled garden is very uneven. I had a tree cut down (blocking out the light) and leafs everywhere. I am wondering if it could be old tree roots. b🌺

Hi Brenda 
I have pebbles in my gardens etc also - I get lots of leaves from my hedges etc landing on them and I guess as you mentioned - raking or using a broom relocates the pebbles no matter how careful you try to be. 

I find the easiest way to clear the leaves off the pebbles etc is by using a leaf blower to blow them off but dont hold the leave blower too close else you will move the pebbles also (also make sure the leaves are dry - doing it just after rain doesnt work so good) might be worth a try

I use a rake on my gardens to level them out occasionally

HI @brendawebster44

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @Prawns. I agree with his assessment, it could be old tree roots under the pebbles. You may have to move all the pebbles out of the way in order to trim the roots down. Once the area is flattened out you can re-lay your pebbles and get a nice flat finish.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

No problem, Eric the wise and Prawns plus all the other DIY ers. I am sure that my surgeon who repaired both hips and reconstructed my right foot will have no problem with me wielding an axe at hidden tree roots. I am sure that is the problem I just hope they don’t just burst out one day like Jack and the beanstalk. The giant got robbed and Jack ended up in Pentridge. I am going to just keep piling pebbles on top of pebbles just to see if anyone notices. I may even put a flag on top.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects