Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What veggies are you harvesting and sowing?

bergs
Making a Splash

What veggies are you harvesting and sowing?

IMG_20180207_142327.jpg

Hi All,

I just thought to ask what veges everyone is harvesting or sowing now.

This is the time of the year you can enjoy all of your hard work and reap the rewards from early Spring tasks, depending on your area.

The harvests from my garden are climbing beans, carrots, beetroot, spring onions, lettuce (Oak leaf etc. pick as it grows and doesn't take up as much room, self seeds everywhere and on hand most of the time), tomatoes are about to ripen, pumpkins nearly ready to store for drying, capsicum, chilies, rhubarb and  zucchinis are all doing well.

I don't do too bad considering I haven't got a lot of room and there are large trees all around.

I'm in Geelong and the Spring/Summer season is a great time to spend in the garden, so I make the best out of the weather.

The Spring and Summer crops hang on until early Autumn so I don't get much into the beds until late March.

I generally grow broad beans in Autumn followed by beefing up the soil in the beds for next Spring.

Not much grows in Winter as  the yard doesn't get enough sun.

Let us know what you harvest and plant at this time of the where ever you are?

Cheers bergs

Be happy and care for your tools
bergs
Making a Splash

Re: What Veggies are Members Harvesting and Sowing at the Moment?

Hi @Adam_W@Jason

Ihave exprimented with small wicking beds.

Check this site out. Very easy to make and you can use recycled timber and containers etc.

Check this diagram out.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=NkYVqS70&id=AB1A2987ADC38E34EF1258944F2BEADBEC...

bergs
Making a Splash

IMG_20180109_163903.jpgThe Start with basic supplies

IMG_20180109_164037.jpg

Don't forget to put caps on the end to keep the Mozzies out.

IMG_20180109_165157.jpg

Notice the overflow pipe at the level of the aggregate.

IMG_20180207_123424.jpg

I don't have to water very often, maybe once a week.

They are chilies in the tub so I hope it doesn't keep them too damp.

I found that seeds need to be watered regularly until they are established because there is no root system to draw on the water sump.

IMG_20180207_123434.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Great work @bergs, Many thanks for sharing. 

I have a Vegepod which uses the same wicking principle. It also has a handy cover to keep pests at bay. I've run a few experiments where I've planted seedlings both in the Vegepod and nearby in the ground - the Vegepod seedlings always do better. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
RosieW
Having an Impact

Harvesting tomatoes from seeds collected last year. We rigged up a frame for them using a raised garden bed and a couple of old gates we found on hard rubbish. They did really well, (even made a doz jars of chutney) and are now harvesting the seeds for next year. Harvested spring onions and lots of herbs (oregano, rosemary, basil) too for an amazing sugo. Also sowing/sown basil from last years collected seeds - the greek and purple bush varieties are really tolerant to snails, I find the sweet basil just gets wiped out.

IMG_8332.jpg

IMG_8913.jpg

IMG_8912.jpg

IMG_8884.jpg

IMG_8919.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Your garden looks beautiful @RosieW. Many thanks for sharing. 

We harvested the last of our basil yesterday. We have had so much of it from just a few seedlings. My wife made some more jars of pesto, which is delicious. 

Do you have any tips for harvesting the basil seeds for next year?

Jason 

RosieW
Having an Impact

Purple basil's a bit of fun too. As they go to seed, pinch out the flowers of the plants that you want to keep producing leaves, and let a couple go to seed. Then save in an envelope in a box somewhere dry. I label mine with the date they were harvested and the date they should be sown. I'm letting some rocket lettuce go to seed now, planning to save the seeds and plant soon - good all year round.

Hi @RosyW, you have made good use of recycled gates.

I recycled an old queen sized bed frame and a vehicle roof rack to grow climbing beans on this year.

I have collected parsley seed, (Italian and Curly leaf), they tend to come up all over the place once they go to seed.

I have also collected Radish and Mustard Greens seeds from the previous crops.

These plants do have tendency to get out of hand after a while, so I either dig them in for green manure, or divide them between our two daughters for their chooks' and they repay us with fresh eggs.

I think that's a good swap!

My tomatoes have just started ripening in the last fortnight, but I'm well down on last years crop.

I have harvested four pumkins (Qld. Blue I think), which grew from some of my compost.

I transplanted to a spot where I have trees growing and can't grow much there anyway.

I grew some seeds that my Son in law gave me and wasn't sure what they were, he thought pumpkin maybe!

It has turned out to be a large squash type plant in the Cucurbit family and I think it may be a pumpkin crossed with a yellow zucchini.

IMG_20180301_154032.jpgIMG_20180307_174255.jpg

IMG_20180301_174030.jpg

IMG_20180305_175938.jpg

The above are some of my summer produce.

I still have chillies and capsicum growing, the climbing beans are out. Not as many beans this year. The white flies played havoc with the beans and what damage they didn't do the weather made up for.

My maple trees got burned by the hot days so they won't fire up this year (again).

I'll have to go to Bright to savour the colour again this year.

Cheers and happy gardening

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Great to see your photos of your home-grown produce @bergs. Many thanks for sharing. You might not have as many tomatoes as last year, but those ones pictured look amazing.

At our place, we're picking a reasonable amount of fruit at the moment. Still hoping for some rain though!

Jason

bergs
Making a Splash

Hi @Jason,

Yes I suppose I would have to be happy with whatever is harvested from my patch. After the setback I had with the tomatoes earlier, I suppose I'm lucky to get much at all. I have collected more seeds from some of the tomatoes that had been attacked by grubs and insects, so that will give me a start for next season.

The tomatoes that have ripened are being consumed with breakfast each morning. "YUM" nothing like fresh from the garden to plate.

I got a few more this morning turning colour, including the largest one that was growing.

They're all good size, but this was the largest at 0.433g.

IMG_20180312_113143.jpg

IMG_20180312_112954.jpg

IMG_20180312_113056.jpg

I've still got about another couple of dozen to ripen, but none are bigger than the largest in the photos. The weather has cooled off now, but it's supposed to warm up again at the weekend, in more ways than one, so hopefully I'll get more ripe toatoes then.

I'm off to the Chilli Festival on Saturday:crazy:crazy::hysterical::cries:

Check it out if your into CHILLIES

http://www.herbchillifestival.com.au/

Cheers @bergs

Your tomatoes look excellent. Well done @bergs. They certainly are very large!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects