Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What will you be planting in autumn?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

What will you be planting in autumn?

It's the first day of autumn and soon the weather will be turning cooler.

We might miss the hot sun, but the milder conditions provide the chance to get stuck into the garden. 

What will you be planting this autumn?

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Ajmod
Building a Reputation

Re: What will you be planting in autumn?

While i wont be planting much in Autumn, i will be enjoying 2 of my favourite Autumn fruits which are currently ripening up on my trees at home! 

We have a pomegranate tree and a feijoa tree, both of which provide bucket loads of fruit each year. Especially the feijoas, our tree produces hundreds which we end up making lots of cakes and muffins with, yum! 

I'll keep you all posted with some pictures when they're ready to pick. Pomegranate time! Not quite ripe yet

bluebec
Building a Reputation

Straighter carrots - so the trick is to make sure that the soil is very very well turned over, there are no big lumps or rocks.  The better dug over the soil is, the more likely you'll get straight carrots.

My problem is getting long carrots, mostly because I'm using raised garden beds and it has taken a while to fill them up properly with soil.

What types of carrots do you like to plant?

bluebec
Building a Reputation

Very soon (possibly next weekend) I will be planting garlic, peas, carrots, coriander and probably bok choi straight into the garden.  Into my greenhouse and punnets will be broccoli, onions, parsley and other autumn vegies I can't think of right now.

I should be writing an essay, otherwise I'd definitely go and get all my seeds and write a long list of things that I could plant.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for sharing your tips @bluebec. I hope to see your progress with planting soon. Good luck with the essay, hope you broke the back of it yesterday.

Jason 

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

I'm going to have another try growing corriander. I haven't had much luck in the past. 

Isobel
Amassing an Audience

Saw these hilarious carrots on Instagram...

carrots.png

bluebec
Building a Reputation

I FINALLY got out into the garden after finishing another essay yesterday.  Topped up two garden beds with compost and then planted garlic, carrots, peas (snow peas and purple podded peas), spinach, parsley, broccolini and coriander.

Later this week I will plant lots of things in my green house like broccoli, onions, more onions (I have several different varieties), celery, celeriac and other things that take my fancy.

Isobel
Amassing an Audience

Do you use the greenhouse just to get them started @bluebec? Do you get much better results in the greenhouse?

Would love to see some photos. Sounds like you have a wonderful garden. 

bluebec
Building a Reputation

I use the greenhouse for getting them started.  Greenhouses are generally that little bit warmer than the general airtemperature, so seedlings have a chance to get established without the risk of frost (or snails and other pests).  I also plant my spring vegetables (tomatoes, chillies, eggplants, etc) in the greenhouse, so I can get them into the soil much quicker than if I tried to grow them in punnets in a sheltered corner.

Photos - they'll come, I have been too busy to take any recently.

MartyH
Amassing an Audience

I imagine all the trees and plants in Melbourne are a bit confused at the moment given how warm it has been. You haven't needed a greenhouse! But I imagine we will be complaining about the cold weather in no time.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects