Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Your tips for keeping possums away

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Your tips for keeping possums away

Brushtail_possum_exudative_dermatitis.jpg

Possums are adorable when they are climbing trees and dashing across electrical wires. But it can be frustrating when they are munching on your home-grown fruit and vegetables or keeping you up at night by dancing on the roof.

Fortunately, I'm sure the Workshop community can come to the rescue of anyone struggling with neighbourhood possums. 

What are your tips for keeping possums out of your garden or away from your house?

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Your tips for keeping possums away

Oh dear. I hope that our clever and creative community members have some helpful suggestions for you @kjs.

Let me also extend a warm welcome to the community. We're really pleased to have you join us and trust that you'll get loads of helpful information, advice and inspiration for all your projects around the house and garden from our wonderful members. Please don't hesitate to post whenever you need a hand or have something to share.

Jason

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Workshop community @kjs.

You could use Multicrop 2l Scat Animal Repellent which has an adjustable spray nozzle. If you adjust the nozzle to a thin spray, it will travel close to the 5 meters needed to reach the top of the plant. Spraying the walls down also wouldn't be an issue. It would be advised to spray around the base of the tree so they don't use that as an alternate route up it.

Please let me know if you need further assistance with this product or had other questions.

Mitchell

dirtygardener
Building a Reputation

We have a resident possum (Danthony - named after a few drinks) and I have tried many things. The most successful has been simply throwing blood and bone around the garden beds. Gives the garden a feed as well. You can also put some in the end of pantyhose leg and hang in trees etc. This is Danthony with his (her) baby a few months. Snacking on some apple. 

Danthony.jpg

MariaOAKLEIGH
Just Starting Out

20369888_10155115194414862_2316459247526093658_o.jpgthis my lovely backyard where I live rent house. it my aunt's own. she and I Grr over Possum Problem.... it Poo over floor. one night I set on video I catch see possum poo about between 4am to 6am night time... I tire tell next door who did feed possum or not.

I live unit on floor and lots house around - some nice tree but problem is POO! i got fake owl with head moving when wind blow. but it not work, I keep moving 2nd day each time... I tire...... so do you think  SPIKED FENCE is working??? I tire SEARCH to proof but nothing show. aunt and I know we plan order Rolling line on fence but it cost lots. I just need time think about to get rolling but first hear what your think? I live rent for 6 years. love place peace view of my backyard lots of wood I love. but I had nightmares over possum poo I keep clean all time. one time I forget clean poo before friends over.... one my friend not see and she step on poo and got inside my house I was like YELL NO NO.

PLEASE HELP HELP it nightmares over POO!

Looks like a lovely area @MariaOAKLEIGH. I hope the ever-helpful Workshop community have some useful suggestions for you.

Have you tried spot lighting with motion sensors? Or Multicrop 2l Scat Animal Repellent on any nearby trees and plants that they are attracted to?

Jason

KHEricF
Just Starting Out

Great tips @Jason

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks @KHEricF,

Feel free to join in the discussion on Workshop anytime. Our clever and creative members are always sharing helpful advice and project inspiration. 

Jason

Re: Preventing possums from eating produce

Great guidance in that article. thanks Deanna

Hi @KevinBrisbane,

It's fantastic to see you join the discussion after being a member for such a long time! Got any projects going on around your home or garden? Having issues with possums at the moment?

Mitchell

Mitchell

yes I planted up our pots and boxes at the weekend with some herbs veggies and flowers and possums wrecked the lot :unhappy:

i have some good ideas now that I'll try today and over the weekend when replanting and addressing the carnage.

Cheers Kev

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects