Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Your tips for keeping possums away

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Your tips for keeping possums away

Brushtail_possum_exudative_dermatitis.jpg

Possums are adorable when they are climbing trees and dashing across electrical wires. But it can be frustrating when they are munching on your home-grown fruit and vegetables or keeping you up at night by dancing on the roof.

Fortunately, I'm sure the Workshop community can come to the rescue of anyone struggling with neighbourhood possums. 

What are your tips for keeping possums out of your garden or away from your house?

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
bect73
Cultivating a Following

Re: Your tips for keeping possums away

I’ve tried several different methods and none seemed to have really worked. I’m just trying to deter possums not harm them. The best thing I’ve used so far is Bunnings possum spray. Reasonably priced and easy to use. Just remember to spray again after it rains. 

93D5E2B1-2202-4249-81AE-42644919CE2E.png

robchin
Becoming a Leader

Sorry I'm late to this one - but it's very interesting. I love Possums but don't need anymore at my place :smile: 

Apologies if this has already been called out but I would note that Possums are native animas and as such are 'protected' - you aren't allowed to kill them and they are territorial so caution must be taken if you are planning to catch and release. Check your local council for what you can and can't do. 

Good luck. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Great points, @robchin. In fact, as far as I'm aware, you aren't allowed to catch and release them either without a permit in all states. You'd either need to apply for a permit or employ a professional with the required permit to relocate the possum for you.

Local councils are a great place to start as they'll be able to advise where to obtain the permit and they often loan or hire out possum traps.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

I bought two packs (total 4) Click motion activated security lights (I/N: 0361573). They worked well for almost 2 weeks but the little brush tailed cutey ate all the leaves off my chili and eggplant seedlings (eggplant down to the ground) as well as some lettuce and tomato leaves last night. It also loves coriander and mint! I've tried lavender spray and peppermint spray to no effect, I'm trying mothballs now, despite the possible environmental hazard.

johnL
Finding My Feet

I thought I'd add a couple of images. The first one is all that is left of one chili plant and an eggplant. The second is a still from a video taken with a trail camera a couple of months ago, that was the first time we realised what was eating our coriander. I've also added the video (ignore the date on the video). We solved that with nets. I've named the possum Smaug due it's desolation of our garden.

PossumDesolation.jpgPossumCoriander.JPG

johnL_0-1691365718941.gif

robchin
Becoming a Leader

I love that you have named your possum @johnL. It's a good name. Your other problem of course is that there is never just one of them. I'm always amnazed at what they will eat - even when there is plenty else around. Good luck. 

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

We named our 'possum' - Peanut. Well, he sometimes looks like a possum.

20230716_142133.jpg

johnL
Finding My Feet

OK, over a month has passed and no more desolation. The mothballs were placed at the (supposed) points of entry and close to every group of vulnerable plants. I'm prepared to call that success😊

kateyo991
Just Starting Out

Has anyone else tried this method?

Mix equal parts of Vaseline and Vicks in a jar and smear it all along the fence line where the possums travel.

First few nights of applying it to my fence, I actually saw them fall, slip and slide, struggling to hold a grip properly and eventually they stopped coming around. They absolutely hate the smell of Vicks. And the Vaseline helps to dilute the Vicks I suppose, and helps it make it that much more slippery. That was until the mixture eventually wore off after wet weather.

So it's a good idea to reapply after heavy rainfall.

I like using this method because its a cheap and effective deterrent

ladydove
Just Starting Out

What a horrible thing to do

there are huge fines ($2800) per head for even moving a possum further than 50 metres from its house .

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects