Workshop
Ask a question

How to revive my apricot tree?

monty
Finding My Feet

How to revive my apricot tree?

after more than 3 years of good harvest, all of a sudden nothing. this is the first time that is happening to my apricot tree.

i badly need some help/information on what it is/ on what i can do/ what can be done?

monty_0-1600404019611.pngmonty_1-1600404060846.png

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: goodbye to my apricot?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @monty. It's fantastic to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

I'm sorry to hear you're having issues with you apricot tree after three years of great harvests. 

Let me mention some of our gardening experts @Adam_W, @Noelle and @mich1972 to see if they might be able to diagnose the issue.

In the meantime, could you please uncurl one of the leaves and tell us if there are any small bugs inside it.

I look forward to hearing what the affliction is from our experts.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @monty 

That looks suspiciously like a peach or nectarine tree to me and the disease peach leaf curl, which is a fungal disease.  Copper spray is the treatment but it needs to be applied before budburst to be effective.  The disease spores shelter in the buds over winter and infect the new growth unless the tree is treated at the time it is pruned. @Adam_W ?

Hi @monty and @Noelle , I reckon you are on the money there.
One thing I would check though as a possibility... take one or two of the rolled-up leaves & unroll them. There is a chance that it could be thrips. A tiny, little insect pest. Best described as being cigar-shaped.
If that's the case you can prune the leaves off and spray the whole plant with eco-oil.
If no pests obvious and it is as Noelle suspects a fungal issue then collect all the fallen leaves and destroy or dispose of them in a sealed bag (DON'T compost) and then in winter when the tree is bare use a copper spray to neutralise any spores.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects