Workshop
Ask a question

When is the right time to seed grass?

Cyrus
Getting Established

When is the right time to seed grass?

Hi, I just want to get advice about sowing the grass seed for my backyard lawn.  

Can I sow grass seed now, will the grass seed germinate at this time in Victoria.

I want to use the scotts lawn builder seed

Screenshot_2020-05-28-14-02-42-122_com.android.chrome.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: seeding grass

Hi @Cyrus,

Let me tag our resident lawn care expert in @Adam_W - I'm sure Adam would be happy to assist you with your question about using Scotts Lawn Builder. 

A very warm welcome to the community. Please don't hesitate to post anytime you have something to share with the community or need a hand with a project around the house and garden. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Cyrus,

The Sun & Shade by Scotts is designed to be sown all year round. With the blend of 4 different grass varieties, it ensures great coverage. Tall fescue will germinate now, red fescue will germinate if temperatures are above 15 degrees celsius, couch will germinate reliably when temperatures are between 20 and 30 degrees celsius and perennial rye is perfect for germination at this time of year.

Most of these are considered companion grasses having individual traits that once combined ensure a great looking lawn year-round in both full sun or part shade.

If you have further questions or need advice, please let me know.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Cyrus
Getting Established

Thanks Mitchell for information

Adam_W
Workshop Legend

Hi @Cyrus sorry for not replying sooner.
@MitchellMc's info is spot-on however the practical reality can be quite different.
Yes, some of the varieties in the blend are likley to still germinate but you will not achieve good coverage. In-short... there's a difference between surviving & thriving...
The seed that doesn't germinate in the cooler weather will likley have blown or washed away by the time the weather warms up so you will only have a limited amount of new grass popping up.
Personally... I'd live with the patchiness until spring and then go for it. I think you'll be much happier with the results.

Cyrus
Getting Established

Thanks @Adam_W for replying and the expert advice.

robchin
Becoming a Leader

Morning @Cyrus 

Some good advice above. 

BUT

Have you considered the use of TURF as opposed to seeds? It'll be a bit dearer but it does have some advantages. In most parts of Australia you will still get a good result with instant turf. A number of different varieties are available depending on where you are located. There is some Australian information on this website: https://lawnsolutionsaustralia.com.au/laying-turf/installing-a-new-lawn-in-winter/ 

Might be worth thinking about. 

Good luck. 

Robert. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects