Workshop
Ask a question

What summer vegetables to grow?

Suman
Just Starting Out

What summer vegetables to grow?

I need some help.with naming the summer vegetables which I can grow now in the middle of september.

Thanks

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: summer vegetables

Hi @Suman,

Welcome to the Workshop community. We're pleased to have you join us. 

As I mentioned to another member yesterday, you'll need to give us a little more information to work with before we can help. The most important is - where are you based? As you'll find if you browse the garden diaries on the Bunnings website, you'll find what you can plant at this time of year is very dependent on where you are based. It might also be helpful to share what kind of soil you have, and whether you plan on growing your veggies in the garden or are using something like a raised garden bed or even pots. 

The good news is that now is definitely the time to prepare your summer veggie patch, and that members will be more than happy to help you along the way. 

Many thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Suman
Just Starting Out

I live in perth, W.A.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for the extra info. This might help get the discussion started, courtesy of the Bunnings website...

In September it’s all about tomatoes. There’s a huge variety available in sizes and colours ranging from red to black, yellow and striped. When they’re home grown, they taste delicious. Tomatoes grow well in pots, hanging baskets or in the ground.

Plant seed in pre-moistened soil and in about a week the seedlings should emerge. Fertilise every few weeks when the plants are growing. Tomatoes are also available as seedlings in punnets or single pots. Buying like this means a lot of the hard work is already done.  Plant in a sunny well-drained position. It’s preferable to select a patch that hasn’t grown tomatoes the previous season. Mix in organic compost before planting. Remember to keep plants well-watered and feed regularly. Stake larger growing varieties.

There’s nothing like growing your own greens so you can pick these fresh from the garden every day. Plant lettuce, bok choi, rocket and basil seeds now.

Hope that helps get you started. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Kermit
Amassing an Audience

8cf5bd38-c976-472c-bee9-7dc3d7ddceb7.jpg89db2100-9363-4d86-abde-2584cb920880.jpg396f2d91-ef8a-412b-9617-6fd50e4dd513.jpg0859a968-da5e-4191-aff4-cea5f50e23dc.jpg912d053d-c231-47f2-83ab-074f620bea0c.jpg

Former Workshop member
Not applicable

don't forget pumpkins, corn, eggplant and bush beans, if you can keep the water up to them.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects