Workshop
Ask a question

What is the tube in the ground next to the tree for?

chengjianer
Getting Established

What is the tube in the ground next to the tree for?

1.jpg2.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: what is the tube in the ground next to the tree for?

Hi @chengjianer,

We generally place tubes like these next to trees when planting as they allow you to water deep down into the plant's root ball. They prevent excess evaporation of surface water and make sure all of it is directed to where it's needed. Simply place your hose in the tube for 10mins for deep watering of the plant. You'll often find councils use this agricultural pipe method on trees they plant on the nature strip. Whilst establishing the plant, a council water truck with a boom arm will come along and water them through the pipe.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

@MitchellMc 

thank you for the information. i never know about this!

Poppy21955
Just Starting Out

How do you insert Ag pipe around root ball when planting a 2-3 M tree for watering?

should the Ag pipe to be used be the socked type?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Poppy21955. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about creating a watering ring.

The Agi-pipe will be inserted into the hole before planting the tree. You'll need some Vinidex 65mm x 20m Draincoil With Filter Sock and a Vinidex 65mm Draincoil Tee. Create a ring of Ag-pipe slightly small than the circumference of the hole. Attach the ends of the pipe to the tee piece. Cut another section that's slightly longer than the depth of the hole. Connect this to the third outlet on the tee. Lower your watering device into the bottom of the hole.

You can then backfill with some soil over the Ag-pipe and plant on top. You want the Ag-pipe to sit slightly lower in the hole than the tree roots ball. That way, the roots can see the water instead of sitting directly in it. I've created a quick rendering below to illustrate.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Treering1.pngTreering2.png

That’s great thanks Mitchell.

do you have any tips on how to plant advanced trees, ie; size & shape of the hole? Can you recall seeing any posts on this subject?

Hi @Poppy21955,

You should find this guide on How to plant and care for mature trees useful. Typically, you'd dig a round hole as it's most suited to rootball shapes.

Mitchell

Hi Mitchell,

that's a great tip. We have a lemon tree which I understand needs good watering as well, but it's a mature tree we've inherited from the previous owner, and there is no existing ag pipe. 

Is it feasible and recommended to add one now? I imagine I'd need to be super careful not to damage too much of its roots when installing the pipe. Do I need the full ring, or would just the sub (the vertical bit), aimed towards the root ball centre, suffice?

Thank you!

A watering ring is not necessary; it's more of a convenience item, @TheHandySqirrel. With adequate surface watering, the water will penetrate down to the roots. You could add a watering tube at this stage, but that's really only going to get the water to one specific location. Letting the water run for some time will obviously help with that, though. I wouldn't advise you to do the whole ring as you'll cause substantial damage to the roots trying to install it.

Have you considered installing an irrigation system? Some weeper hose or drip line around the tree would be more than adequate to water the plant. Check out this helpful guide on How to install a drip irrigation watering system.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects