Workshop
Ask a question

What did you do over the weekend?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi everyone,

Every Monday I'm keen to hear what you got up to over the weekend.

It might have been starting a new project, getting stuck into some gardening, hosting a cracking BBQ, catching a new movie, getting some exercise, catching up with friends and family, or just relaxing with a good book.

Please share in the discussion below. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

Re: What did you do over the weekend?

We replaced our en-suite door, which swung into the room, with a sliding plantation shutter. Pretty easy job, & it fixed one of the few mistakes we made when we built, it was only a minor niggle, but it's nice to have it scratched off the To-Do list. :smile:

Replaced a hanging bird feeder with a nice locally made posted wooden version that Tania got from a localish nursery. Apologies to any "Bunnings-or-nothing-holics", but we like to support the little blokes whenever we can.

Also started experimenting with pool water aeration for algae control, more on that another time.

Nothing on the house the wknd, spent it on cosmetics on my car instead...and mowed the front lawn (man I can't wait until I have little to no lawn out front anymore!)
----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo

We did some more gardening on the weekend. 

Lots more planting and mulching, and we laid these bluestone rounds as a path through the garden bed. Happy with how they look. Hopefully the ground cover will also spread quickly. Trees planted included crab apples, a lilac and a forest pansy. 

Still lots of work to go!

Jason

rounds.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Bit sore today after a big weekend in the garden.

First job was cutting half a dozen old railway sleepers which we are going to half bury down the side of our house.

Here's the sleepers and a inspo photo of what we are planning:

Sleepers.jpgSleepers1.jpg

I also got a Vegepod last week so we got that up and running yesterday. Filled it with perlite for some extra aeration as well as plenty of bags of potting mix and cow manure.

Vegepod1.jpg

First round of crops include carrots, cucumber, lettuce and some strawberries.

Vegepod2.jpg

I was keen on the vegepod as the cover should keep out pests. We've had problems with pests eating our crops in the past. The cover also protects the plants in the summer and the self-watering system seems fantastic. I will share some pictures of the harvest! 

Jason

Isobel
Amassing an Audience

I've been putting off the spring cleaning. I really need to do the windows in particular. And attack the bathroom.   

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

@Isobel, cleaning windows is a breeze, but the time of day makes a huge difference. Do them early morning, or late arvo when the glass has cooled.

Get yourself a cheap, long nap (12-18mm?) micro-fibre cloth, they hold lots of water for the washing process, but also trap the grit/grime within their fibres.

You're not done yet, go over the glass with an artificial chamois (you need to break them in first), wring it regularly, & you'll have streak-free windows.

I'd tried medium nap micro fibre cloths for mopping up the water, & going over it again with a low nap glass micro fibre cloth, but the artificial chamois does it just as well, & saves a step & time too.

What did everyone get up to over the weekend?

I got a start on my deck rejuvenation. Punched in hundreds of nails and now have a plan of attack for sanding the boards back in the coming weeks. Also did a bit of tidying up in the garden, although the winds yesterday quickly destroyed that effort...

Jason 

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Friday - Homeshow, can't see a lot of value in going even when I got free entry, if you paid $15 I feel sorry for you.
Saturday - Fish cleaning.
Sunday - Day trip to pick up a couple of fish.
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Gardening time was limited over the weekend - too windy! (again) 

Jason

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Melburnians like me would have struggled again to get much done over the weekend with the terrible weather. 

At least the rain did stop yesterday afternoon and I got a chance to get started on my deck rejuvination project. I'm hiring a floor sander next weekend but did the edges with my new orbital sander. 

As you can see from the photos below, the deck is currently in a pretty bad way so looking forward to improving it. 

Jason

olddeck1.jpgolddeck3.jpgolddeck2.jpg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects