Workshop
Ask a question

What is the best product to clean a shower?

JoshRaf
Building a Reputation

What is the best product to clean a shower?

Shower.pngHi Everyone,

Just though id ask what everyones opinions are on the best product/s to use to clean a shower.

My shower has small black tiles on 3 walls which shows soap scum easily and im constantly having to scrub it but im yet to find an easy solution!

Isobel
Amassing an Audience

Re: What is the best product to clean a shower?

@JoshRaf

Check out this discussion - https://www.workshop.com.au/t5/Interiors/Remove-Mould-in-30-Seconds-It-ll-never-happen-Or-Will-it/m-...

I bought 30 Second Mould Off after reading @PJA and @Annette's posts and it does work really well.

JoshRaf
Building a Reputation

Thanks Anette. My issue is more soap scum than mould si im not sure how well this would work for me but ill be sure to give it a try!

darylhewston
Becoming a Leader

@JoshRaf

We still swear by CLR Kitchen and Bathroom cleaner (available Bunnings).  It sure does stink, but gee wizz, it cleans bright and shiny.  We only have to do ours once a month.  

Tip:  Once finished in the shower, quickly rinse soapy residue off the glass.  Cuts down cleaning time.

Cheers

Daryl

Isobel
Amassing an Audience

Further to @darylhewston's tip, it is good to keep a mit in the shower for a quick wipe down. Doing it regularly makes keeping the shower clean much easier.

PJA
Having an Impact

G'day Josh,

Thanks for your question. I do like the easy ones: ones like, why did the chicken cross the road or why is the sky blue, but how do you keep the shower screen clean, ahhhh!

The first thing is, it isn't really soap scum. We just call it that because it sounds right. But think about it, it's all over the shower recess and you don't use 'that' much soap.

It is the scale from the water, not harmful to drink, but if you lived off tank water it would be minimal.

Shower windows / screens therefore aren't the same as the other windows in your home. For these, the other windows, dishwashing liquid is probably the best followed by car washing soaps. These cleaning agents are designed to cut through grease and grime.

For the shower Daryl is on the right track. CLR: Calcium, Lime and Rust is the just the ticket. But you will have to be vigilant; once a day for a little while until the glass is clean, then regularly to keep it that way.

30 Second Mould Remover, will also do the job.

When in Bunnings check the ‘other’ CLRs, there are a few available for a number of applications.

Another tip, when expecting guests, just wipe some of the shampoo off your hair and smear it over the glass. The soap will form a steam barrier and keep the glass clear; until it washes off, of course.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects