Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Benchtop dishwasher tap connections

MinB
Building a Reputation

Benchtop dishwasher tap connections

I am considering buying a benchtop dishwasher, but am not sure what is currently available so as to connect the hose to the kitchen tap. 

5 years ago (YouTube video) a person could buy two parts to make that connection: a) Sink Tap Click On and b) NYLEX brass sprinkler adapter.

Bunnings seems to not sell either anymore.

IMAGES BELOW:

1) MY KITCHEN TAP: Is this ideal for a dishwasher hose to be attached and also easy enough to take the aerator off?

2) TAP CONNECTIONS YOUTUBE: 

This is what BUNNINGS sold 5 years ago so are these still available or is something else now in their place?

3) HOSE HOLDER(?): What is holding this hose up? Does Bunnings sell anything like this, also, a contraption that can keep the drain hose fixed to the sink area whilst the dishwasher is on. 

The USA has this fantastic 3 in one tap connector that is a part of the dishwasher components/parts/kit when sold and it is such a shame that is not available here as it keeps the drain hose in place to face down the sink plus you can press a red button so as to get a glass of water etc.

Anyways, to reiterate, what is available now so that I can attach the hose to the kitchen tap? Don't want to buy anything if it is going to be a hassle getting tap connection parts.

Thanks!

IMG_20210213_035957.jpg

Screenshot_20210213_041329.jpg

Screenshot_20210213_032734.jpg

MinB
Building a Reputation

Re: Benchtop DishWashers & Bench Top Surfaces.

@MitchellMc 

After lots of reluctant wrestling, power lifting and an unintentional strenuous workout...

Just resolved the hose issue by actually pulling the drain hose around the other side of the machine.

Perfect length, but not how I wanted it as in on the side and out of the way of visual view.

So...

Can I use something like velcrose or some other gadget to stick/attach on the side of the dishwasher itself to tidy it away when done. Ideally, it's own little box would be fantastic, but doubt whether a box like that exists for dishwasher hoses. As for that broom holder - a bit bulky perhaps.

The joy of a person DIY...🙃

IMG_20210412_165333.jpg

IMG_20210412_164215.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Do you think a little box like this D-Line Large Black Cable Tidy Unit – Cable Management Box might work @MinB?

These Command 1.8kg Broom Grippers are quite small and could be placed on the machine's back instead of on the side. That way, you could conceal the hose behind the dishwasher instead of on its side.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MinB
Building a Reputation

Looks like another Bunnings trip is coming up this week or next...

Am sure there was another thing I needed to get so it's all good! 👍👍👍

Thanks @MitchellMc for all your help!

MinB
Building a Reputation

@MitchellMc 

Testing it right now to see how it runs and there is a slight leak from the tap.

Now the thing is, when I put it together earlier today I put an extra smaller washer ring in as noticed it was leaking then and that seemed to stop it on attaching the hose and putting the water on. I actually picked up a packet of all different sizes when I was in Bunnings a few weeks back.

Wouldn't want it to pop out in full flow as kind of made that mistake when working it out with the washer situation - two towels and a tea towel later it was all good again tiles, bench and floor.

Is there anything more I can do or pick up from Bunnings to resolve it? 

IMG_20210412_223844.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

The washer that should be included with the hose is enough to seal it @MinB. Did you tighten the blue click-on fitting into the hose with an adjustable wrench or just by hand? I suspect the blue fitting just needs to be tightened more onto the original washer. As for solving the leak with your second washer, did you remove it, and the fitting is now leaking again?

If the water is leaking up and through the threads, you can add some thread tape to the blue fitting to stop this from occurring.

Mitchell

MinB
Building a Reputation

@MitchellMc 

The UK blue attachment part from Bunnings was put into the hose by hand not wrench, but as it is plastic didn't think to use one.

The second washer was put inside the click on with the one it had in there where the aerator would be. 

Will try the wrench idea next, but buy the thread tape as a back up just in case.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

I've found the UK blue attachments work best if they are done up slightly stronger than by hand @MinB. Just a little extra tightening with a spanner normally stops them from leaking. The thread tape won't hurt either.

Mitchell

MinB
Building a Reputation

@MitchellMc 

Dont think I have a spanner, but will get one when I go into Bunnings again. Right now, it isn't dripping too much and definitely not when it isn't connected.

Working out what else I need from Bunnings and then to sort out when  I can actually go again.

Probably the end of this week...

Thanks! 👍

Re: Benchtop DishWasher Tap Connections & Other...

Hi,

I have just purchased the same benchtop dishwasher as @MinB and have attached the inlet hose to the tap using the 3 parts @MitchellMc suggested ( Pope Indoor Tap AdaptorHolman 12mm Double-Ended Hose Connector and Nylex 12mm British Sprinkler Adaptor) - see photo.  The setup worked well for the first dishwasher run, but the next two runs, the tap adaptor popped off the tap at the end of the dishwasher run leaving the tap water gushing.  The adaptor is popping off at the orange clip part that sticks out, not the metal screw on part.  I was home so could turn tap off but obviously an issue if I weren't!  Is there another option available?  I had a look for the Handi Homes Sink Tap Click-On but haven't been able to find anywhere to buy it.  I did try another setup before finding this thread that one of the Bunnings staff recommended using a Kinetic Aerator Adaptor Kit 406921 (tap) and Brass Bush CP B/HARDS 20x15mm (screwed into inlet hose).  This did work, but it leaked and the idea was that it could be easily removed so I can still use the kitchen tap, but it's not.  Any help would be appreciated!  I have also tried attaching the double ended hose connector to the Kinetic aerator adaptor, but it leaks badly where it screws into the tap.

Cheers,

FeliSink.jpgFirst setup.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Benchtop DishWasher Tap Connections & Other...

Hello @fh

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's terrific having you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about the dishwasher tap connection.

You already have the necessary parts to make it work. I suggest changing the Pope Indoor Tap Adaptor to a Kinetic Adaptor Aerator Kit. In this manner, you will still be able to use the Holman 12mm Double-Ended Hose Connector and Nylex 12mm British Sprinkler Adaptor. I suggest using VELCRO® Brand 25 x 200mm Black Reusable Ties - 5 Pack to attach the exit hose to the inlet hose of the dishwasher. This will prevent it from jumping out of the sink and keep it pointed into the drain.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects