Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Benchtop dishwasher tap connections

MinB
Building a Reputation

Benchtop dishwasher tap connections

I am considering buying a benchtop dishwasher, but am not sure what is currently available so as to connect the hose to the kitchen tap. 

5 years ago (YouTube video) a person could buy two parts to make that connection: a) Sink Tap Click On and b) NYLEX brass sprinkler adapter.

Bunnings seems to not sell either anymore.

IMAGES BELOW:

1) MY KITCHEN TAP: Is this ideal for a dishwasher hose to be attached and also easy enough to take the aerator off?

2) TAP CONNECTIONS YOUTUBE: 

This is what BUNNINGS sold 5 years ago so are these still available or is something else now in their place?

3) HOSE HOLDER(?): What is holding this hose up? Does Bunnings sell anything like this, also, a contraption that can keep the drain hose fixed to the sink area whilst the dishwasher is on. 

The USA has this fantastic 3 in one tap connector that is a part of the dishwasher components/parts/kit when sold and it is such a shame that is not available here as it keeps the drain hose in place to face down the sink plus you can press a red button so as to get a glass of water etc.

Anyways, to reiterate, what is available now so that I can attach the hose to the kitchen tap? Don't want to buy anything if it is going to be a hassle getting tap connection parts.

Thanks!

IMG_20210213_035957.jpg

Screenshot_20210213_041329.jpg

Screenshot_20210213_032734.jpg

fh
Finding My Feet

Re: Benchtop DishWasher Tap Connections & Other...

Hi @EricL,

Thanks for the reply! Unfortunately I've already tried using the Kinetic Adaptor Aerator Kit instead of the Pope Indoor Tap Adaptor and it leaks badly where it attaches to the tap.  It seems OK with just normal tap flow, but when I attach the double ended hose connector and turn on the tap it sprays out the top where the adapter screw into the tap end.  I have tried tightening an no luck.  The pope indoor tap adaptor didn't have any leaking issue at the tap connection so I'm guessing it's not the tap?  Is there anything else I could try?

Cheers,

Feli

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @fh

Let's give this one more try. Since you already have the Kinetic Adaptor Aerator and you've tested it but it leaks. I recommend putting some plumbers tape between the Kinetic adapter and the Brass Bush CP B/HARDS 20x15mm (this part you already have). You'll need to put plumbers tape between the Brass Bush and the Holman 12 x 20/25mm BSP Universal Tap Adaptor. You'll need to get this last piece I mentioned to complete the configuration. I've placed a drawing below for you to have a look at. If you have any questions please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
fh
Finding My Feet

Hi @EricL,

thanks for coming up with a new plan! The place where it has been leaking is right above the aerator adaptor at the top of your diagram where it screws into the tap. I feel even with the new change it would still leak at that spot? I have tried really tightening it although I’d read somewhere that it really should only be hand tightened and to be careful of not over tightening. I did have one good dishwasher run and then on the next it started leaking again. I’m not sure how much more tightening of the aerator adaptor would be OK or whether it would be best just buying a new one in case this maybe just has a glitch?

cheers

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @fh,

The aerator adaptor should seal against your tap spout with a rubber seal within it. Is there a rubber seal? If not, adding a small amount of thread tape might assist.

Mitchell

Hi Mitchell, 

I am trying to connect my benchtop dishwater to the sink tap as well. I applied the Holman 12mm Double Ended Hose Connector to connect the kinetic aerator adaptor to the Nylex 12mm Brass Sprinkler Adaptor, but the connector keeps leaking from both ends. Also, it blows off at the top end of the connector once I put the water on slightly faster. Is there a better solution to this? Thank you.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @spongebob255

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fantastic to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about connecting your dishwasher to the sink tap. 

Sometimes there are certain garden fitting combinations that won't work with each other or have a tendency to fail. So far I've only recently seen a good combination from this discussion - Benchtop dishwasher quick-release connection by @jenenev.

The parts they used are:

You'll need to cut a bit of hose from your garden hose. I suggest cutting off at least 100mm so that it has room to bend. But If you need a longer length cut it to the amount you need. 

To assemble the parts, place the hose clamps in the middle of the hose and attach the brass barbed connector to each end of the hose. Move the clamps into position over the barbed fittings and secure them tightly. Since you've already attached the brass adapter to your dishwasher hose and you already have the Kinetic adapter installed, all you need to do is to attach your new adapter. Push firmly on each end to make sure the connectors have locked into place.

I suggest slowly turning the water on to make sure that there are no leaks. Double-check your connections and test your dishwasher.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your dishwasher up and running.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

skye-t
Just Starting Out

Hi Eric,

I have been trying to find a way to connect the tabletop dishwasher to the tap but was not able to do so. 

I got the recommended parts but somehow struggled to find a suitable part to connect from the tap to other adaptors.

Attached is the image of the tap after the aerator is removed and the dishwasher hose. Is there some other part that I would need?

20220918_134817.jpg

20221029_131742.jpg

Thank you!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @skye-t. It's fantastic to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about connecting a dishwasher to a sink tap.

Could you please confirm which of the recommended adaptors in this discussion you have tried? That would provide our members with the required information to proceed further with troubleshooting your issues. By the looks of your threaded tap, a Pope Indoor Tap Adaptor would be a great place to start if you are looking for a quick-connect type fitting. Failing it being able to connect, you could look at a Kinetic Adaptor Aerator Kit.

I look forward to hearing about the options you've already tried and providing different solutions.

Mitchell

vid6
Finding My Feet

How to connect Benchtop dishwasher 3/4" hose to standard kitchen tap?

I have been following this discussion because my dishwasher is similar with 3/4" hose -

https://www.workshop.bunnings.com.au/t5/Kitchen/Benchtop-dishwasher-tap-connections/td-p/60475

WhatsApp Image 2023-04-18 at 12.46.38 PM.jpegdishwasher hose

And thought the solution was to get :

https://www.bunnings.com.au/nylex-12mm-brass-sprinkler-adaptor_p0098684  to connect with the dishwasher hose, but a lot of reviews say it works only with other Nylex fittings. 

I have this kind of tap, and I have removed the Aerator insert from the tap. I think the problem has become bigger because the tap is threaded inside (i think female tap with a diameter ~250mm, bigger than 220 mm for sure). I measured the male Aerator using tape and it's 220 mm.

WhatsApp Image 2023-04-18 at 12.28.06 PM.jpegWhatsApp Image 2023-04-18 at 12.38.28 PM.jpegThe person eventually ended up purchasing Handi Homes Sink tap click-ons for their connection, which I can't find in Bunnings or anywhere.

I am a bit lost here, what should I try?

Thanks !

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to connect Benchtop dishwasher 3/4" hose to standard kitchen tap?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @vid6. It's wonderful to have you join us, and I apologise for my delayed reply.

Benchtop dishwashers are not designed to be connected to a kitchen sink tap, that's why you're finding it quite hard to adapt your hose. Their hose is to be connected to a hard-plumbed 3/4-inch tap. Understandably, if you've gone for a benchtop unit, you'd likely be looking for a way to connect it to something other than the plumbing work beneath your benchtop. The methods in the discussion are an attempt to connect the machines to non-designated sources. If those methods aren't suitable, you might need to consider adjusting your benchtop so you can run the pipework through it to an appropriate water connection.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects