Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can't figure out tap replacement

Idiot-Renovator
Finding My Feet

Can't figure out tap replacement

Hi everyone, I feel like a complete idiot. I went to replace my taps but there is a white attachment on the spindle (also not sure I am using the correct words!) that prevents me removing the flange and I don't know what it is and how to remove it... all advice welcome. Very new to this!!! 20210511_050052[1].jpg20210509_105123[1].jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Can't figure out tap replacement

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Idiot-Renovator. It's fabulous to have you join us, and many thanks for your question.

I'll start by first saying you've come to the right place as our members are always more than happy to assist with any issue you have around your home or garden. What might be a simple fix for one person can be a total mystery to another. This is exactly what makes this a fabulous community, as we all help each other. Although this looks like a simple issue, there was a time where I wouldn't have the foggiest how to disassemble a tap. Luckily someone showed me, and now I can, fortunately, pass that knowledge onto others.

The little white plastic tap retaining part lifts directly upwards. It is not screwed on; it is a push fit. It can get a bit stuck over time, so it could take some force to pull it off. You might find levering it up with a flathead screwdriver is necessary. Take a block of something solid, which is about the same height as the top of the copper threaded section and place it next to the tap on the bench. Push the tip of the flathead screwdriver in between the white nylon part and the threaded copper. Lever it up using your block as a fulcrum. Work your way around the nylon retainer from different sides.

Please let us know if this works. If not, our helpful members will have loads of other solutions coming your way.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks @MitchellMc - that was very helpful!!! I used some force and got it off no problem. 

So, next question... I have all these adapters to fit onto it to fit the new tap. One looks like it is a match but does not easily fit over the fixture - I tried tapping it on but even that started to damage the plastic adaptor. Do I need to use more force again here or is there another trick? Thanks :smile:20210511_112704[1].jpg20210511_112730[1].jpg20210511_112745[1].jpg

Hi @Idiot-Renovator,

It appears to be the ones I've marked below, with around 16 spline teeth. The new adaptor will probably need to be gently tapped into position with a hammer. The key is to line the spline teeth up with each other and have the bottom of the new adaptor parallel with the sink top as it needs to go on straight. If you attempt to tap it on wonky, it will chew the teeth up. Try looking down from the top when positioning it to align the teeth, then check from the side to see if it is straight. Once it is in the right position, it should self align and allow you to tap it on. Putting a drop of cooking oil on the copper spline might allow the new adaptor to slip on easier.

Please let me know how you go.

Mitchell

Tap.png

Super - success - thank you so much for your help!!! I really really appreciate it :smile: 

It's my pleasure, @Idiot-Renovator! It's been fabulous to be able to troubleshoot this in real-time with you, quite a unique experience.

I look forward to hearing about the other projects around your house and garden. Anytime you run into an issue or have something to share, let us know. We're here to help.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects