Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Fixing rangehood

DexterOz
Building a Reputation

Fixing rangehood

I am trying to install my rangehood but when i took out my old rangehood i can notice the new rangehood has four screw slots on top roof. But as my kitchen cabinet is hollow from back so i need to drill side holes in rangehood. Any ideas how i can add support for the rangehood at the back so do not have to drill holes in the sides.

In the image below section 1 has two front screws goes it is fine but section 3 is hollow so screws can not be set there.

so need to drill holes on the sides ( section 2 ) to fix it. Is there any way i can avoid that. I am sure this would be standard things with kitchen cabinet but the rangehoods do not provide the option with side slot to fix screws.

RangehoodInstall.jpg

martin1
Growing in Experience

Re: Fixing rangehood

1 cut mdf piece to size to fill the space

2 cut two small temporary battens eg 42 x 19 pine. These are just to help you to align the infill piece. Hold these up against the underside of the existing front section of cabinet and screw in to the cabinets on either side (without going through them) to hold battens in place. The battens bridge the gap to the back wall of the cabinet and are an extension of the underside of the front cabinet.

3 cut two small pieces of the mdf (for temporary spacers) using same material as the infill piece (eg 16mm thick). You will lay them flat on the above battens within the gap behind the cabinet. This creates a rebate equal to the thickness of the infill piece so that the infill piece will be flush with the underside of the existing cabinet once it is screwed in.

4 cut two pieces of mdf (or other material) that will be permanently attached to your two side cabinets above the 2 and 3 temporary pieces above as backblocks for the infill piece. These don't need to be flush with the corners. Hold back block piece and the mdf spacer (3) in place on the pine batten, screw in with screws that don't penentrate the cupboards on each side, then remove 2 and 3. Now you have something to screw your infill piece to from below that is correctly positioned. 

5 pre drill your infill piece before screwing it in to above.

if you can hold everything steady (batten pressed up against underside of cabinet, spacer and block pressing down on batten) you really don't need to screw the temporary batten in but it will probably be easier to do so.

Hello @DexterOz 

Below is a suggestion of how you might do it. I suggest asking a handy man or builder if this is safe to do. Please refer to council rules and regulations in your area regarding rangehood mounting as each area and state is different and there may be strict guidelines on how to do it in your state. Please be informed and  proceed with caution.

Cheers!

Red

rangehoodA.jpg

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

DexterOz
Building a Reputation

Thanks @martin1 for the steps. I am beginner to am trying to put this together. really appreciate your help

DexterOz
Building a Reputation

Thanks @redracer01  this is very helpful for beginner like me for understanding where to put what. Yes with restriction in Victoria its difficult to speak or get a handyman. So trying to figure it out myself.

I can get this

https://www.bunnings.com.au/claymark-64-x-19mm-1-2m-standard-grade-dressed-pine_p8401490

I have measured the mounting screw slot on rangehood top is 4*4 from top left corner and right side which goes toward back of the cabinet.

What i am trying to still figure out is to screw that wood block to cabinet in slot 1, 2, 3 in image below.Sorry for my ignorance and bad skills

RangehoodInstall5.jpg

Thanks

Hello @DexterOz 

You put the fixing screw through from the otherside/inside of the cabinet. If you are looking at the backwall of your rangehood cabinet thats where you need to drill through to get to your new timber fixing. Then on the cabinet on the left hand side of the rangehood cabinet you drill through that side. Please make sure to drill pilot holes for precise location of screws. I suggest watching a few youtube videos to give you ideas on timber fixings it should help and give you ideas.

Cheers,

Red

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects