Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I paint a white rusty fridge?

eriswa
Cultivating a Following

How do I paint a white rusty fridge?

Could someone give me ideas on how to paint a rusty fridge please. Any kind of advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do I paint a white rusty Fridge

Hi @eriswa,

@EricL advised using White Knight 300g Gloss Appliance White Paint And Prime. It doesn't appear to have silver on the can or silver on the lid. There is also Dulux 300g White Duramax Appliance Spray Paint which would be suitable. It doesn't have the primer in it, and you should use Dulux Duramax 340g Flat Metal Primer on the bare metal areas before the topcoat.

Was it the Dulux 300g Duramax Appliance Silver Spray Paint you picked up? If so, that one definitely is silver spray paint.

If you can post a picture of the product you purchased, then we'll be able to determine if it is white or not.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
eriswa
Cultivating a Following

Hi Mitchell

It was WK Appliance paint as I described and it definitely had Silver on the front of the can and had a silver lid, I'll take a photo next time I go to Bunnings in Wangara. The lady who assisted us said she didn't think WK Appliance white came with primer and also she couldn't find any in stock. My wife was with me and we were both confused so we didn't buy one before I posted on here again.

Cheers

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @eriswa,

That certainly sounds a bit confusing. All the White Knight appliance paints have a primer included, it might not be written on the can, but it's in its name "Paint And Prime".

I've just spoken with a helpful Bunnings Wangara paint shop team member by the name of Karen. Currently, they have both silver and white on the shelf. Perhaps the white was out of stock when you visited, but they're both sitting right next to each other now, and the white is easily identified.

I apologise for the confusion, and please let me know if you need further assistance.

Mitchell

eriswa
Cultivating a Following

HI Mitchell,  thanks for the info and going to all that trouble. I'll be popping in to your Joondalup store this week and get one. Cheers 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do I paint a white rusty fridge?

Hello @eriswa

It's fantastic that my colleague @MitchellMc has sorted out the confusion on the availability of the appliance paint.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

eriswa
Cultivating a Following

Hi Eric I still haven't started on the fridge yet as I haven't been to Bunnings yet, other DIY's keep popping up. With the Bondall 250ml Ranex Rustbuster Rust Converter, do I need to apply that to the whole fridge and how? I'm going to start on the rusty parts along the handle by rubbing it down and applying the White Knight Rust Converter which I already have, Just not sure how to apply the Ranex. Do I use normal sandpaper or Wet & Dry(I have 180 W&D).

Cheers  

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @eriswa

Using the 180 W&D is too rough for the fridge and will damage its finish. I suggest using Flexovit 100mm x 1m 400 Grit Wet And Dry Sandpaper Roll. Just keep in mind the higher the number of the sandpaper the finer the grit. Lower numbers mean that it is very rough and will take chunks out of whatever you're sanding.

If you already have the White Knight rust converter there is no need for you to use the Bondall Ranex product. They do exactly the same thing. 

Here is a link to the White Knight rust converter: White Knight application instructions.   

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

eriswa
Cultivating a Following

HI Mitchell, I got a can of WK paint for the fridge and it doesn't say Paint and Prime like you mentioned.  Nothing on the can saying it has a primer. Attaching a photo of the can I bought. 

Cheers 

IMG20220709141348.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @eriswa,

You'll find the application instructions on the White Knight website. However, they do look like they've updated the can's graphics. There is no mention of a primer in the application steps. 

The product name on the Bunnings website is where it mentions the product is paint and prime. Before you use the product, just make sure there is no mention of primer under the application instructions on the can.

Mitchell

eriswa
Cultivating a Following

Hi Mitchell

It doesn't mention primer on the can at all but it does say suitable on bare metal and original fridge paint. I've had to rub back the bad rusty spots to bare metal and I'm not sure if I should be using this paint. Can you suggest any other brand that has a primer or should I just get a separate primer and use the WK paint that I purchased?

Cheers

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects