Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I paint a white rusty fridge?

eriswa
Cultivating a Following

How do I paint a white rusty fridge?

Could someone give me ideas on how to paint a rusty fridge please. Any kind of advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do I paint a white rusty Fridge

Hi @eriswa,

If you've rubbed back the rusty spots to bare metal, you're ready to apply the paint according to the instructions. If a separate primer is required, it would state it in the instructions. Not all paints require primers as they include bonding agents within the paint. 

After the weekend, I'd be happy to contact White Knight for you to confirm that a separate primer is not required. I can't advise using a separate primer at this stage, as it would contradict their instructions. I'd also be concerned about the compatibility of the primer with their product.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
eriswa
Cultivating a Following

Thanks Mitchell

I'll wait for your reply before I go any further.

Cheers

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Many thanks for your patience, @eriswa.

I've been able to confirm that unless you're painting the whole panel of a fridge that is currently bare metal, then there is no need to prime the area. If you are still at all concerned, you can use an SLS Etch Primer on the exposed metal portions.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

eriswa
Cultivating a Following

Hi Mitchell

Thanks for doing that for me, very much appreciated.

cheers

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @eriswa

I'm glad you received excellent advice from my colleague @MitchellMc. You can't go wrong using SLS Etch Primer, it is formulated to give a very good surface for spray paint to bond onto.  

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your fridge freshly painted.

Eric

eriswa
Cultivating a Following

Hi Eric

Thank you very much to both you and Mitchell for all your help and advice, will definitely keep you posted with the finished product.

Cheers

eriswa
Cultivating a Following

HI Eric  I finally finished the painting though the weather wasn't the best for it. I ended up using Rustoleum instead of WK, due to unfavourable reviews on WK. I ended up doing 4 coats as some of the very bad rust spots I rubbed back didn't cover. I started a 5th on one side and and it bubbled in a few spots so I stopped doing the rest. I sanded it back and left it as it is, quite happy with the overall result though. Being a spare in the garage so I wasn't too fussed.

IMG20220802090218.jpg

IMG20220712144406.jpg

IMG20220712144355.jpg

IMG20220712144426.jpg

IMG20220719123412.jpg

Sending you some pictures. Thanks once again. Cheers   

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @eriswa

Thank you very much for posting those photo updates of your fridge. Your spray painting looks good and the fridge looks brand new again. Wrinkling is often caused by unequal drying during the painting process. From the surface, it looks like the paint is, but underneath that dry surface, the paint is still wet. When a new coat is applied the semi-dry paint moves as it continues to dry causing wrinkling to occur. 

My only tip is to give the paint a few extra days to dry off, one of the best ways to tell is to gently touch the surface of the paint and if it feels like it's sinking the paint underneath is still wet. Don't be tempted to use a hairdryer or a heat gun as these tools will only dry off the surface and not cure the paint underneath.   

Again, thank you for sharing your fridge painting project.

Eric

eriswa
Cultivating a Following

Hi Eric

I've lightly sanded back the wrinkling as you called it and left it as it is, it doesn't look too bad. I'm not going to repaint it at the moment, maybe later on down the track when the weather gets a bit warmer.

It's only sitting in the garage and I'm quite happy with the final result. 

Cheers

Eric

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @eriswa

I totally agree with your plans, unfortunately, this cold weather is really not ideal for any sort of painting as it really delays the drying time.

We look forward to seeing your next project.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects