Workshop
Ask a question

How to fix soft-close drawers that won't stay closed?

tsc1611
Getting Established

How to fix soft-close drawers that won't stay closed?

Hi, We have a soft-close drawer in our kitchen bench that all of a sudden decided it was no longer going to close all the way. You can push it all the way in, but it just springs out again. Can anyone please offer advice as to what the issue might be?

IMG_20201029_211928948.jpg

Thanks in advance

SiFi
Finding My Feet

Re: How to determine the issue with soft-close drawers that won't stay closed?

The same thing happened on one of my brand new Kaboodle kitchen draws. Eventually, I identified the issue as a small piece of broken plastic on the draw part of the runner. Toward the back of the runner is blue plastic piece with a nib on either end that engages with the sprung opening device fixed to the inside of the cupboard wall. The nib broke off one end on both runners on the draw - see the pic below, the blue piece should be bone-shaped but you can see one nib is missing. On inspecting other draws, one nib had broken off on some draws, which allows them to still work, but means they too will probably stop working at some point when the second nib breaks off. Disappointing that Kaboodle again has opted for poor quality parts. Can't believe I'm already doing repairs on my 3-month-old kitchen.20210505_095145.jpg 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Many thanks for sharing your experience @SiFi. I'm sorry to read that your Kaboodle drawers haven't met your expectations but I am sure the Bunnings team will be more than happy to assist. Would you like me to ask one of the team to contact you?

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. We're really pleased to have you join us and look forward to reading all about your projects and plans. We have clever and creative members sharing helpful advice and inspiring projects on the site every day, so we're sure you will get plenty of value from joining in the discussion.

Thanks again,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
SiFi
Finding My Feet

Hi Jason

Thanks for the quick response and offer of help. Do you know if KAboodle has a warranty and if something like this might be covered? OTherwise, I'll have to buy a replacement runner.

Si

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Absolutely @SiFi, I would expect the team to be able to assist you under warranty. Let me ask our resident Bunnings team member @MitchellMc to contact you when he is back on Friday. Apologies for the delay in the meantime. If it's urgent, please just let me know and I can organise an alternative. 

Jason

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @SiFi,

I've made contact with Kaboodle, and this is definitely an issue they would like to assist you with. I'll reach out via PM to provide information on the warranty process.

Mitchell

holl
Getting Established

Hi tsc1611

I have the same issue with this brand, did you find where to order replacements parts from?

Cheers

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @holl. It's a pleasure to have you join us, and many thanks for jumping into the discussion.

Let me mention @tsc1611, so they are alerted to your question. Hopefully, they'll be able to fill us in on whether they could get replacement parts.

Have you tried contacting the supplier? I'd imagine it would be best to start your search with them, as they would have details of anyone supplying spare parts. Alternatively, I'd be more than happy to try and find runners that you could replace them with. If you can't easily get spare parts, that might be the next best option.

Mitchell

holl
Getting Established

Thank you, I did contact them but they have not made these for four years so I might need to replace complete sliders

Cheers

Gail

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Let us know if you get stuck @holl. If you can remove one and provide us with the dimensions, I'm sure @EricL and I can work out some suitable replacements. Alternatively, you can take a slider into a store, and a helpful team member will match it up for you.

Mitchell

holl
Getting Established

Thank you, I have been in contact with them but they no longer make these or have spare parts so back to square one.  I have removed the runner and will take it into Bunnings and see if I can replace it with one of theirs.

Cheers

Gail

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects