Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to keep pests away from hot water system under kitchen sink?

st22
Cultivating a Following

How to keep pests away from hot water system under kitchen sink?

Vulcan under kitchen sink, usually warm, cockroaches reside in large numbers. They die of bait but happily come back a few weeks after. Any tips how to make this place uninteresting to them?

Thought of sealing the cupboard where the vulcan sits - would it be a fire hazard - like eliminate all holes & put something pest proof on the door

Photos:

20220725_185920.jpg

20220725_190640.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: preventative pest control for vulcan

Hi @st22,

You can cut the old foam with a knife or a saw. As opposed to cutting away all the foam already filling the holes, I'd recommend concentrating on any spots that aren't currently filled.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
st22
Cultivating a Following

20220820_135131.jpg

20220820_135154.jpg

 that is two before photos, if you have tips please let me know. For now, aiming to silicone seal these narrow gaps

20220820_135609.jpg

and concerned about this on the left side, heaps of completely unsealed gaps to the next cupboard

20220820_135013.jpg

 thanks

  

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Looking good @st22.

Silicone sealing those gaps is likely the best option, and I'd suggest expanding foam for the gap between cabinets. You're on the right track, remove debris > seal any obvious gaps > lay bates/spray. 

Mitchell

st22
Cultivating a Following

Sorry I am a bit late and now PestXpert is out of stock. Any other recommendations please?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @st22

Would it be possible for you to please tell me the closest store in your area? Can you also please tell me which PestXpert product were you specifically trying to get? I can check the other stores for you and find out if they have it in stock. I believe that PestXpert is the ideal product for your current situation.   

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

st22
Cultivating a Following

Thank you for getting back to me. Messaged you my location. I hope it is ok. Please let me know which product to get. My search for 'pestxpert cockroach' on the website came with zero results. I can head to another store that is not nearest, if needed.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @st22

Thank you for your patience. I suggest going to Bunnings Alexandria as they have all the items that you need. 

I recommend having a look at the following:

These products are all designed to combat cockroaches and any other crawling insect. Please make sure to wear safety gear such as gloves, goggles and masks along with a long-sleeved shirt to protect yourself from overspray.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

st22
Cultivating a Following

Thank you, Eric. Would spraying near the vulcan heating system suffice? The cockroaches also live near electronics such as laptops, modems. They even entered an empty carpetless room despite no food or moisture being present. Wondering how that could be handled. (Would avoid the bomb as we have a pet and do not anticipate washing all surfaces for a few hours before letting it in).

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @st22

I suggest using the PestXpert 500g Pro-Spray Crawling Insecticide Spray around the hot water cylinder. As for the empty room, I recommend using the same on all the corners of the room. However, if no one is using the room and will be unoccupied for the foreseeable future, I propose bombing the room to kill the infestation. Just make sure your pet does not enter the room.

Unfortunately, there must be a large source of water somewhere in the house that is causing the infestation to increase. My only other recommendation is to engage the services of a pest control professional.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects