Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to plaster and patch kitchen ceiling roof cavity?

Sath
Growing in Experience

How to plaster and patch kitchen ceiling roof cavity?

Started my kitchen renovation, removed existing cabinets , found a section of the ceiling with some exposure to the roof . I want to patch this ( ceiling and side wall ) up before installing new cabinets . How do I do this , haven’t done any thing like this before , so seeking guidance . There is a level difference between the sections ( where the cornice ends ). The size of the ceiling section is 1.3m by 60cm . These areas will be covered up anyway by the cabinets so not looking to have a clean finish . See pictures attached 

IMG_3608.jpeg

IMG_3602.jpeg

IMG_3606.jpeg

IMG_3605.jpeg

IMG_3603.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to plaster and patch kitchen ceiling roof cavity

Hi @Sath,

If you can remove that exposed and lower timber, it would be best as you'd then be able to install a panel across the whole area. Without removing the timber, you could screw a timber board cut to 1.3m x 60cm over it. You'd then need to add a trim piece on its edge to transition to the higher section.

Can you remove that timber, and was it part of a previous in-built cupboard? It's best to try and get the area as flat as possible before covering it. But if it won't be exposed, the simple solution would be to install a timber panel over it as is.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Sath
Growing in Experience

@MitchellMc 

Did exactly what you suggested. I managed to remove that timber and make it as flat as possible. See pics after. Many thanks for the suggestionIMG_3618.jpgIMG_3619.jpgIMG_3620.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Great work, @Sath; that looks fantastic!

Did you need any help with the rest of it, or was that sufficient to then be covered by your cabinetry?

Mitchell

Sath
Growing in Experience

@MitchellMc 

Slowly getting up the cabinetry. Seeing  few issues but good learning challenges.

Next immediate challenge is to figure out how to fill the gap between the existing slate flooring and the cabinet. The cabinet is 60cm wide.

I dont have existing slate tiles nor have I any tools to cut if I get a few. The cabinet on the left is not fixed yet, so i can take it out. What are my options to fill the gap atelast till it is not visible. We are not really fussed about the consistency of appearance. Can I use some simialr looking vinyl or simialr tiles which I can cut easily? Bunnings would have them? Or is is easy to cut slate tiles?Stil lcan see some wooden floorStil lcan see some wooden floorhere the wooden floor needs to be covered as much as possiblehere the wooden floor needs to be covered as much as possibleIMG_3642.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

We do have some self-adhesive slate vinyl tiles @Sath. Typically, you'd install a kickboard under the front edge of the cabinetry that extends down to the floor.

For the cabinet on the left, you might like to bring it forward so it's more in line with the front of the other cabinets. You can add a panel to cover the gap from the back of it to the wall.

Cutting slate tiles is slightly more difficult than standard tiles. But, if you can get your hands on some, you could re-tile the area.

Mitchell

Sath
Growing in Experience

@MitchellMc 

I can’t bring the left one forward, as it is attached to the railing on the back wall. Will look at the vinyl tiles and see if I can cut them into shape . 

Sath
Growing in Experience

IMG_3662.jpeg

IMG_3663.jpeg

IMG_3665.jpeg

@MitchellMc 

managed to find one matching Vinyl tiles, can work with this now.

Next question : I am replacing the rangehood , my new one is a Miele DA 399-7 classic . The existing outlet is 1250mm , Miele recommends 1500mm . When replacing the outlet does the whole chimney need replacing ? Or just the pipe ? Also I am planning to glass splashback , so the splashback and painting goes in first or rangehood?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to plaster and patch kitchen ceiling roof cavity?

Hello @Sath 

If you've already ordered the glass splashback, I recommend installing it first so that the rangehood can be positioned right above the glass. You can imagine what might happen if the rangehood was installed first and the glass was bigger than the allotted space. You would end up disassembling the rangehood and having to create more holes in your wall.

It's important to paint your wall first so that you'll have a uniform finish. Depending on the type of glass splashback you purchased it's better to have a plain background so that you won't have shadows of different colours passing through the glass. 

In regards to the outlet, I advise changing the chimney to the recommended size as having a smaller chimney will stifle the motor and force it to work harder to pump out the cooking smoke. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Sath
Growing in Experience

Re: How to plaster and patch kitchen ceiling roof cavity?

Thanks @EricL 

I haven’t ordered the splash back yet. There is still a risk then as you say.

From your description, will paint the wall first, then get the Splashback installed , then the range hood,

I have a new bench top going in next few days, Any suggestions on how to remove the oil and grime from the walls? I want to remove the existing outlet, so i can clean. Is that an easy process or do i need a professional ?

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects