Workshop
Start a discussion

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to trim a Essastone benchtop?

Denise66
Budding Contributor

How to trim a Essastone benchtop?

Hi, I’m just wondering what to use to trim about 3mm off our 30mm

7D9778D6-7102-42B2-A330-882BFDA71CF5.jpeg

Essastone bench top? There is a 15mm rebate so doesn’t have to be perfect.
It’s to replace an old cooktop with the new one which is 3mm too wide? We’ve tried a file but that will take forever!!

Cheers Denise 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Trimming a Essastone benchtop

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Denise66. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about adjusting the cutout in your benchtop.

Something like this Flexovit 105mm Continuous Rim Diamond Blade would be suitable. However, cutting Essastone requires water-cooled equipment as excess heat can cause cracking that is then not covered under warranty. At the very minimum, you'd want to squirt the area constantly whilst cutting with a spray bottle.

Another issue you will run into is that 3mm is a tiny amount to remove off the edge of a slab. You might be best removing 5mm so at least your blade is embedded in solid material instead of breaching the edge as you cut. The other option is to try and grind the surface down with a diamond blade instead of cutting such a thin slice off.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Denise66
Budding Contributor

Hey Mitchell 

Thanks so much for your helpful information and I think you are spot on that we will need to grind back 1 to 2mm….not slicing.

Would you recommend a diamond blade for grinding or a masonry blade?

Denise

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Denise66,

Whether it's cutting or grinding, diamond-impregnated is preferred over oxide. A diamond cup grinder would be more proficient at removing material from the edge than the cutting blade previously mentioned. Please remember it still requires water cooling to prevent cracking and clear buildup between the cups segments.

Mitchell

Denise66
Budding Contributor

Thank you for your help Mitchell,

Much appreciated 

Kind regards,

Denise 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Keep us updated and don't hesitate to reach out if you need further assistance @Denise66.

Mitchell

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Denise66,

I just thought I'd follow up to remind you that a P2 rated respirator must be worn whilst cutting any type of stone or manufactured stone like the Essastone. Silica exposure is a real danger with D.I.Y. projects like these, and I wanted to ensure you and our other members reading this discussion remained safe at all times. Here's an informative guide on What you should know about silica dust

Mitchell

Denise66
Budding Contributor

Thank you Mitchell, we did realise that we needed to wear masks, but thanks for confirming that.

Kind regards,

Denise 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects