Workshop
Ask a question

Kitchen reno on a tight budget using Kaboodle

carry
Finding My Feet

Kitchen reno on a tight budget using Kaboodle

DE84C358-FA5A-4F0B-B2AA-05BAD4D01D05.jpeg

Hi all, 

I’m new to the group and wanted to thank you all for contributing to the advice in this forum which is invaluable! 

We are hoping to renovate our kitchen on a very tight budget - $5,000 using the Kaboodle kitchen system and would welcome any advice you may have as we begin to make plans. The kitchen measures 4.5 metres x 2 metres but the space on the back wall where we can put cabinets is approx 3.8 metres due to a hot water system in the corner.  As you will see in the photo the front door is very near the peninsula. We were hoping to add a small island in the Reno rather than having the peninsula by joining base cabinets together. Do you think this is achievable or have any advice in relation to this. Also, does anyone know what the rough cost of a kaboodle system of this size would cost? We will likely purchase counter top separately. Any advice would be soo greatly appreciated. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Kitchen Reno

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @carry. It's fantastic to have you join us and many thanks for your questions.

I've provided a rendering of a Kaboodle layout below to get you started. I've also included a list of the items used. This kitchen works out to be around $6,600. You might also like to mock up some designs using the Kaboodle planner. I excluded an area in the corner of 600 x 600mm to accommodate the water heater.

You might like to check out some of these previous discussions:

You should find these step-by-step tutorials helpful:

The ever-helpful @redracer01 might be interested in joining the conversation and possibly providing his own design.

Please let us know what you think of the layout and if you would like any changes.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Hello @carry 

Some modification to your wall may need to be made to make my suggestion work. Other option is to move all the tall units to the right hand side wall. I don't see your pantry or fridge so I assume its on another wall? Please feel free to correct the layout and I will re-draw as time permits.

Cheers,

Redcarry1.jpgcarry2.jpgcarry3.jpgcarry4.jpgcarry5.jpgcarry6.jpg

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

How are your plans coming along @carry? I trust the information and inspiration you received from @redracer01 and @MitchellMc was very helpful. 

We look forward to reading an update and encourage you to post whenever you need further assistance or have progress to share with our members.

Jason

carry
Finding My Feet

Thanks Jason. Both @MitchellMc @and @redracer01 plans and suggestions were super helpful and I’m very grateful to you both. I had rough measurements at the time of posting and now realise I can’t remove the wall I was hoping to remove so measurements have changed.  

please see photo with updated measurements. The back wall is now 3350, the wall on left where sink is 2060, wall on right that hides the hot water tank is 960 and the wall by the front door is 630.

we have 2870 between the wall by sink and other wall for island - will that be sufficient for pass through on either side? I think we will only put cupboards on back wall and left wall leaving right wall to put open shelving on or do you have any other ideas for that space? Maybe a pantry cupboard which we have space to open? We also want to put our oven between the bottom cabinets as opposed to a tower and put a dishwasher on the left wall near sink.

@MitchellMc @redracer01 would it be possible to get your views on tweaked drawings and whether what we want is achievable in this space? @MitchellMc could I trouble you to tweak costings? As I mentioned we have a very tight budget!! Appreciate all your help thus far, your input is invaluable! 

E3C901A1-78E5-4F04-B00F-D31C99F8BDD6.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @carry,

Here's another render working off a room 3350 x 2060mm that is within budget. I believe if you don't have cupboards on the right-hand side there is enough room to navigate the island.

Let me know what you think.

Mitchell

Amazing @MitchellMc - thanks so much! That is exactly what we have in mind! Is the island 900 mm in length? I’m assuming we are joining two 450mm base cabinets based on your render? Is that correct? 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @carry,

I'm glad you're happy with that. The island is actually a 900 and 450 base cabinet, so it's 1350mm plus two 16mm thick end panels. There is 660mm to the wall and 704mm to the dishwasher.  I'll include an image below. In hindsight that might actually be a bit tight to navigate so I'll include another render with just the 900 cabinet. With the 900 cab you will have 960mm to the wall and 850mm to the dishwasher. You can obviously choose which side gets more room but make sure to allow enough distance for the dishwasher door to open fully.  With the single cab there should also be enough room to have some floating shelves on the right-hand wall.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects