Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Kitchen suggestions - Late 80s home reno

ckeij
Getting Established

Kitchen suggestions - Late 80s home reno

Hi all, 

I would love some suggestions on how to maximise our kitchen space. We plan on knocking out ALOT of walls and making 2x bathrooms instead of 1! So expect more posts from me in the future haha.

The little window nook is a bit tricky as it is an odd shape - are there any bunnings offerings that could work for this spot?

We are also keen to turn the laundry/pantry space into a 'butlers pantry' style space and ideally I will put our washer and dryer stacked in a cupboard with the rest of the space (and a sink) for storage/food storage.

Current kitchenCurrent kitchenFloor plan (with walls knocked out)Floor plan (with walls knocked out)Floor plan at presentFloor plan at present

JaneK
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Kitchen suggestions - Late 80s home reno

Welcome to the Bunnings Worskshop community @ckeij! Thanks for sharing these floor plans. What an exciting reno!

You might find some inspiration in this collection of the 10 top most popular kitchen renovation projects from our community members.

I'm sure @MitchellMc and @redracer01 will be able help with some suggestions. We're here to help so keep the questions coming.

Jane

Found the answer you needed? Mark it as Most Helpful
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @ckeij,

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. We're so pleased to have you join us and are really looking forward to seeing how you can transform your home - hopefully with a bit of help and inspiration from our wonderful members along the way.

Great idea to knock down some walls and make the house more open-plan. The ever-helpful @MitchellMc will be back on the site on Friday, but in the meantime let me tag experienced renovators in @Mathy and @2Belindas to see if they might like to kick off the discussion and share their thoughts about your plans. 

Thanks for joining in the discussion and sharing your project with us.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @ckeij,

I believe you could work your oddly shaped kitchen window nook into the plans. In fact, it could look amazing, depending on your styling. What were you hoping to achieve with it?

Your open-plan design will certainly improve the layout's flow. One thought I had is that you might like to keep the rumpus room slightly isolated from the dining. A rumpus room lends itself to having young children making lots of noise whilst playing within it. Having it down a hall would be a dream when entertaining adult guests in the dining area. I've made a change to your plans below, which would allow the bedroom to be extended and have access to an ensuite. It also does away with the somewhat dead space you had due to removing the study.

I very much look forward to following along with your renovation. Please let us know when you have questions; we're here to help.

Mitchell

ckeij
Getting Established

Hi Mitch!

Wow that is a great suggestion and so annoyingly obvious that I'm kicking myself I did not think of it haha. 

We are waiting to get detailed floor plans to check what walls are load bearing and then we will make some firm choices. An exciting time

Thanks

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Hello @ckeij 

Here are a few suggestions. One with the laundry wall intact. One where the wall is partially removed and finally an all in one integrated set but with the most space provided. enjoy the drawings and please post any questions you might have. I will upload the last three drawings on the following post. 

Cheers,

Red

ckeij1.jpgckeij2.jpgckeij3.jpgckeij4.jpgckeij5.jpgckeij6.jpgckeij7.jpgckeij9.jpg

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Hello @ckeij 

Here are the last three drawings.

Cheers,

Red

ckeij10.jpgckeij11.jpgckeij12.jpg

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

I trust @ckeij will really appreciate the time you've taken to put together these excellent renderings @redracer01. It's amazing inspiration to see a fleshed out plan first hand and really puts things into perspective.

Many thanks for your efforts.

Mitchell

ckeij
Getting Established

WOW! My husband and I are obsessed with the stand-alone island bench and putting the fridge in the back - it looks so slick and cool! Thank you so much for taking the time to do these mocks! 

Did you draw these up using the Kaboodle planner? If so I am very keen to learn how you did the bay window in the mock ups!? 

we plan on getting a kaboodle consultation in the next couple of weeks so we can price it all up! 

Thanks so much again! 

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Hello @ckeij 

I'm glad you enjoyed the renders. The kaboodle kitchen 3d planner is versatile but it has its limitations. I used sketchup which is a little bit more feature friendly. But rest assured the cabinets I placed in your kitchen is all based on kaboodle cabinet sizes. Your Bunnings in home consultant should be able to rebuild this on their laptops and quote appropriately. 

Cheers,

Red

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects