Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Mixer Taps

janegold
Getting Established

Mixer Taps

Hi, my name is Jane and I am writing this as my Husband would be mortified if I seeked help lol. I have had a leaking mixer tap for ages and I watched a 'you tube' thing on how to fix them and I think that put my Husband off completely. What I would like to know is, is it cheaper to buy a new mixer tap or buy a new cylinder for it and try to fix it ourselves. We live in Whyalla but we are coming down to Adelaide this weekend and I would just like some advice whether to fix or buy another.

Cheers, Jane

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Mixer Taps

Hi Jane (@janegold),

Welcome to Workshop. It's great to have you join the community. I hope you find plenty of great ideas, inspiration, advice and information on the site. It should be plenty of fun, too!

I'm sure members of the community will be keen to share their thoughts on your mixer tap dilemma. Do you know the brand and model of the tap?

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jackson
Making a Splash

Hey @janegold - I know it's only a tap but you need to be careful with doing any plumbing jobs yourself as most states have regulations requiring almost all plumbing work be done by a licensed plumber. Even if the regulations allow you to DIY, most tapware warranties will be voided if you tamper with it yourself. I'd err on the side of caution and have someone come out and take a look. They'll be able to give you the best advice.

I'ld be carefull also, but I didnt like my sink tap as my basins are shallow and tap too low, we took pics from under sink to hadware and it was just a matter of turn off water, and putting in the new tap [ which was a gift from a friend in China] and works beautiful. but then I only had to pull tap out and put the two water pipes in appropriate place. would hat to do something complicated.. Maybe get advice from Hardware store, as you may not need a plumber as they can charge like wounded bulls...... appologies to plumbers, you deserve you pay, but some of us are on very tight budget :smile:
JP_Finlay
Having an Impact

Certainly not the hardest job to do but as @Jackson said most of this kind on work needs to be done by a licensed plumber. The biggest concern is if you have a major leak your insurance company won't pay up for damages if it was something you have done.

If you are allowed to do it yourself it would be easier to replace the cartridge as it comes out the top rather than trying to remove the hoses and fasteners from underneath to replace the entire tap.

The cartridges do come in different sizes and base configurations so you need to know what style it takes as well.

You would definitely need to check what applies in your state in regards to DIY plumbing.

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

I'm at odds on what to make of this, because most hardware shops sell these items to customers, without them being asked to show their certificate of competency.
The other thing, is you are in a sense, just replacing a tap washer. Granted, it's a bit more complicated, but it doesn't expose you to any further risk of flooding etc.
My advice would be that if it's only the cold water tap, then you're in luck, turn off the water supply at the water meter, open the problematic ceramic tap to release the mains pressure, & follow the instructions on the packaging. The hot water side is a different matter, because some households have ceiling mounted storage tanks that feed by gravity. Unless you know which valve to close in that system (there doesn't seem to be a standard), you could end up draining the whole tank, or worse, scolding yourself.
Ceramic taps can be dismantled & assessed. We had a couple of situations, one where crud interfered with the necessarily intimate contact of the 2 ceramic discs. A simple clean did the trick. The other fail was more interesting, in that it was clear that the ceramic valves were going passed the intended stop point. What had happened, was that the brass body & shaft which form the closing set point limit, were damaged by over someone exuberantly closing the tap. The result was that the valve went passed the stop point, & in doing so, slightly opened the triangular opening. If you have that situation, you will have to replace the whole ceramic valve cartridge, but you won't have to replace the whole tap assembly.
JP_Finlay is right on the money, there are a lot of varying cartridge configurations, so take your faulty one in for the sales assistant to match it for you.
In closing, I don't recall any case of the Plumbing Mafia crashing down doors & beating people senseless in the past, if they replaced a tap washer. ; )

janegold
Getting Established

Yes, I think we will just buy a new tap, it seems much more simple and won't cost much more anyway. Cheers for the information and I will let my Husband know. You should know that my Husband is one of those people who say 'I will look at it tomorrow, I dont need help' when really he hasnt got a clue ha ha.

Cheers, janegold

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

Well done Jane, all good.
By the way, will hubbie be fitting the taps tomorrow, without help? ; )

Thank you for the advice and it is a gravity fed hot/cold mixer tap. I know someone who is a Plumber, so maybe he can send out one of his apprentice's to come and have a look.

Cheers, janegold

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

That's fantastic Jane, the gravity fed hot water systems are a real trap when replacing washers or ceramic cartridges, so getting someone in to do the work is definitely the way to go.

If you want to change the taps anyway, (they were ugly, wink... wink), have the apprentice do that & you'll have more attractive taps, plus fix the faulty ceramic tap situation that you currently have. If you'd like to keep your taps, have the apprentice replace only the cartridges, in both the hot & cold water taps.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects