Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Need help with kitchen layout

nzroundz
Getting Established

Need help with kitchen layout

I'm needing help in the layout of my kitchen. We are wanting to move the wall where the refrigerator and the pantry is and put an island there. Behind the wall is the lounge and the door to the hallway. Our Kitchen is 3.2 meters wide by 3 meters deep.we want to remove this wallwe want to remove this wallmoving the sink & dishwasher to the edge of the windowmoving the sink & dishwasher to the edge of the windowhoping to move the stove lefthoping to move the stove left20191021_122714.jpgsideview of wall we are hoping to removesideview of wall we are hoping to remove

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Need help with kitchen layout

Hi @nzroundz,

Welcome to Workshop. We're excited to have you join the community and see how your kitchen renovation progresses. 

We have many very helpful members in the Workshop community sharing advice and inspiration every day. Feel free to post anytime you need a hand. 

For this one, could you please clarify what you would like help with? Are you looking for looking for suggestions about the layout of your new kitchen or wanting to know whether you can remove the wall? Do you know if it is load bearing?

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Isobel
Amassing an Audience

@nzroundz 

I'd recommend you create a quick sketch of what you want your kitchen to look like, then you can get members to suggest alternatives. Just do it on a piece of paper and then take a photo of it - quick and easy.

@redracer01 is amazing at helping to visualise what it might look like with his 3D plans so hopefully he can help after you've made your little sketch. 

Have you also got a floor plan of the rest of your house that you could share? Would help to see how the kitchen fits in.

nzroundz
Getting Established

Hi @Jason sorry I wasn't clear on my question. The wall is not load bearing, so all good to remove. My question or area I need help in is with the layout of the space now that the pantry and the fridge will need a new area. Any suggestion or help would be appreciated. Thanks

@nzroundz 

Can you please take a photo of the wall next to the fire place.

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Back of pantry & FridgeBack of pantry & FridgeFireplace wallFireplace wall

@nzroundz 

Thank you fr the photos. I will post suggestions soon as I am able. If I can ask for one more thing, can you post current measuremnt of kitchen thanks.

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

@redracer01 

3.5 wide (oven wall) and 2.9 deep (sink wall). Thanks

TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Very tight for wall space... I suggest removing the small return (with the post) and putting fridge against that wall.  If you are replacing it, get one with a left side hinge so its easier to load and unload (if you move it there). Leave some benchtop space nearby for this task too. I guess you use the return's top for unloading at present. Not much room for a pantry once that wall is gone, so I suggest using cupboard space under the new island and perhaps adding some overhead cupboards on the wall where the stove is now.

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Thank you for your patience @nzroundz . Here are my suggestions.

Ask your builder if he can move the supporting horizontal post to the left closer to your sliding aluminum doors. Not remove but "move" so that it is outside the foot print of the kitchen. If it is not in the budget then leave it where it is.

I suggest we go all out on the island. I've made it as big as possible the taller section is 1200 x 1400 and the lower section which is your new dinning table is 1600 x 900. As you can see it has stepped well outside the actual kitchen area.

All your drawers are on the cook top side on the island. You do have a cutlery drawer near the dishwasher.

Hope it works out but if you wish for another configuration please send me a message here on workshop.

Cheers! nzroundz1.jpgnzroundz2.jpgnzroundz3.jpgnzroundz4.jpgnzroundz5.jpgnzroundz6.jpgThis one with your rangehood showing. Enjoy the pictures.This one with your rangehood showing. Enjoy the pictures.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects