Workshop
Ask a question

Painted laminate kitchen cupboards - before and after

Ari
Having an Impact

Painted laminate kitchen cupboards - before and after

Just thought I'd share before and after photos of my original 1995 kitchen after painting.

I painted the cupboard doors and panels with White Knight Tile and Laminate Paint, using a small roller generally and a paint brush for corners, and after cleaning with White Knight cleaner.  After doing a 'trial and learn' on the inside of one cupboard door, painting was easy.

I removed all the doors and hardware and painted the visible panels in situ, and did two coats.  It took 4 x half days altogether.  An easy and cheap job which I would recommend to anyone capable of removing/replacing hinges and door handles.

AFTERNew kitchen.jpg

BEFOREOld Kitchen.jpg 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Painted laminate kitchen cupboards - Before and After

Hi @Ari,

That looks fantastic! You must be very happy with your efforts as they have totally transformed that kitchen.

I trust our members will appreciate your feedback on the products and your encouragement.

We look forward to seeing what other projects you have going on around your home and would encourage you to let us know if you need assistance or would like to share them with the community.

Well done.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Painted laminate kitchen cupboards - Before and After

Thanks @MitchellMc !   It's amazing what colour can do.  Such an easy job, I'd recommend anyone with time and patience to do the same for a cheap update (around $250 all up.)

Those pics are actually from three years ago and I'm now planning to knock out and rebuild. Will hopefully remove the wall behind the fridge space (the middle door is a hot water cupboard and the door on the left is to an awkward L shaped laundry) - and create a laundry cupboard facing the kitchen, behind the hot water cupboard.

Before and after pics one day ...

robsos
Getting Established

Re: Painted laminate kitchen cupboards - before and after

Amazing. I plan to paint my laminate kitchen cupboards in spring. Do I have to remove the doors? I am a newbie and trying to DIY around my home. Some tips and tricks would be appreciated.

Thanks

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @robsos. It's fantastic to have you join us.

Our resident D.I.Y. expert @MitchellMc will be happy to help with your question when he's back on the site tomorrow.

Look forward to hearing more about the projects you're tackling around your home.

Stevie

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @robsos,

Removing the doors can be a good approach that will make painting easier and likely speed up the process as well. You'll find plenty of tips from our members that have successfully painted their own kitchen cupboard doors. Search painting laminate on Workshop, and you'll see all the wonderful projects our members have contributed. I trust you'll receive plenty of assistance if you have some queries about the process they used.

Preparation is key to a great finish. Make sure you clean your cabinets down well before the first coat. Once the paint is laid down, you can smooth it out once, but do not go back over an area that has already begun to dry. The paint is self-levelling, and the more you touch it, the less smooth it will become.

You should also find this step-by-step guide useful: How to paint laminate kitchen cabinets.

Please let me know if you have any questions, and we look forward to seeing your results.

Mitchell

Hi @robsos 

I guess it's not 100% essential to remove the cupboard doors, but if you have a garage, verandah or somewhere you can lay your doors flat while you paint them it's easier and you can use your kitchen over the days you're painting.  Less likely to have drips too.

Removing and rehanging most kitchen cupboard doors is not too difficult, I admit I had a little experience as I built a flat pack Kaboodle kitchen 5 years ago and had instructions to follow to learn how to put the doors on.  Worth doing one and seeing how you go.

I'd definitely recommend this as a cheap impact project if you have time.  I've now used both White Knight and Dulux Renovation Range and didn't see much difference to be honest.

It's now four years since I painted my kitchen with White Knight.  There are a couple of chips in the cupboard under the sink and a few around the microwave shelf, but otherwise it still looks great.  I would recommend this project and product to anyone.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects