Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Pull out storage to utilise space next to fridge

DIYology
Having an Impact

Pull out storage to utilise space next to fridge

4305AD15-5669-45E5-80A3-53A379BBA6D3.jpeg

160CE073-4B17-4FE8-BC6A-CA3B0F9A7CE5.jpeg

Pull out options for small cabinets that are otherwise unusable gave me the idea to utilise the space next to my fridge in this way. 

Its really handy and tucks away nicely and seamlessly when not in use. 

Made it with some pine, dowel, some screws, runners, paint and a spare handle. 

Community manager's note: As this project has been incredibly popular with members, @MitchellMc has created a step-by-step guide with a full list of tools and materials so you can easily build your own. Check it out here - How to build a slimline spice rack.

** Currently employed @ Bunnings however my posts, ideas, projects, views & opinions are my own personal & not Bunnings **

Re: Pull out storage to utilise space next to fridge

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @jessica_roesel. It's fantastic to have you join us and many thanks for jumping into the conversation.

I've tried my best to write some instructions to this project. I'll follow this post up with them.

Please let us know anytime you need assistance with a project around your home or garden or would like to share one with the community. I trust you'll find loads of inspiration here as our creative members are contributing their projects every day.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

@jessica_roesel@kate92@Julie4@Misdred@Maree1 and @SammyE

I've put some directions together for you from the images provided by @DIYology.

Materials:

Tools

• Hand saw or circular saw
  • Cordless drill

1. Start by cutting the Porta 114 x 19mm 3.0m Premium Pine DAR into five equal lengths of 580mm. Cut all the lengths of the dowel into 600mm lengths.

2. Mark out the location on the two lengths of Porta 114 x 19mm 1.8m Premium Pine DAR where you will be positioning your shelves and then predrill two holes per side with the 3mm drill bit. These holes will be to screw the shelves into position. 50mm above where the shelves will be positioned drill two holes per side on the inside wall with a 12mm drill bit. They should be drilled to a depth of 10mm. These holes will be to hold the dowel runners.

3. Apply PVA glue to the ends of dowels and the ends of the shelves.

4. Position all timber pieces by first inserting the dowels and then fixing the shelves in place with Pinnacle 5 x 50mm White Countersunk Timber Screws. It would be helpful to have a second set of hands for this step.

5. Screw Move It 20mm 15kg Fixed Plate Castors onto the four corners of the base shelf.

6. Install the handle on the front of the unit.      

Please let me know if you have trouble following these steps or need assistance.

Mitchell

1.png

2.png

3.png

Thank you so much! I’m very exited! 

keithT
Getting Established

I made this - thanks for a great idea!IMG_1499.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @keithT. It's terrific to have you join us and many thanks for sharing your project.

That's a fantastic pull-out storage unit you've created there!

Did you have any difficulties with the build? Any advice you could offer others which were thinking of giving this a go?

We look forward to hearing more about the projects around your home and garden and we'd encourage you to let us know if you ever need assistance or have something to share. I trust you'll find loads of inspiration within the community as our creative members are contributing their own projects here all the time.

Well done.

Mitchell

keithT
Getting Established

Thanks for your message and comments. No difficulties assembling the project; I used my Kreg jig to fit the shelves, so they are nice and firm; I didn't glue the dowel rails, so they are able to flex a little for any bottles that are slightly wider that the space. A lot of fun.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Love the photo @keithT, thanks so much for sharing. You look deservedly proud of your creation! We're so pleased that @DIYology's wonderful project continues to inspire people.

Looking forward to seeing what you tackle yet. You'll find loads of inspiration on our Project Gallery!

Please let me know if you ever need a hand getting the most from the site, or ever have any feedback about how we can improve Workshop for you.

Thanks again,

Jason

39D8112B-BCC6-4DEC-8A22-1ECEF670A7C9.jpeg

 I did it 😍 it was soooo much fun!! Thank you for the instructions!

Hi @jessica_roesel,

Congratulations on building a fantastic storage unit! I'm really glad that you found the instructions helpful with this project.

Many thanks for sharing you efforts and we look forward to seeing what your next creation will be.

Mitchell

Hi all,

It's been wonderful to see other members tackle this terrific project and share their own creations with the community. Please keep them coming!

As this project has been so incredibly popular with members, @MitchellMc has created a step-by-step guide with a full list of tools and materials so you can easily build your own.

Check it out here - How to build a slimline spice rack

Thanks,

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects