Workshop
Ask a question

What is the right sequence for kitchen improvements?

Sugar
Having an Impact

What is the right sequence for kitchen improvements?

Hi folks, 

We are wanting to do some work on our kitchen. Following are the things we would like to do. This is going to be one at a time. 

A. Changing the Rangehood to this: https://www.bunnings.com.au/bellini-90cm-stainless-steel-canopy-rangehood_p0186539

my existing one is: 

Sugar_4-1613352817922.png

B. Changing the Cooktop to induction or ceramic cooktop, like thishttps://www.bunnings.com.au/bellini-60cm-induction-cooktop_p5103044

my existing one: 

Sugar_0-1613352386083.png

C. Change splashback to thishttps://www.bunnings.com.au/vistelle-700-x-745-x-6mm-mist-glass-splashback_p2669127?gclid=CjwKCAiAsa...

The current one is : 

Sugar_2-1613352711043.png

😧 install new Dishwasher: 

The current one is: 

Sugar_3-1613352752588.png

E: install new oven:

F: Changing the Benchtop: 

Current one: 

Sugar_1-1613352630890.png

We would like to know what is the best sequence to follow to achieve what we would like to do. 

At the moment, the main priority is B, but still, we can follow the right logical order. 

Any suggestion is highly appreciated. 

The main reason is, we don't want to undo (affect) the job which has already been done 

Sugar
Having an Impact

Re: Right Sequence of Kitchen Improvements

Sorry, I forgot to add another item, 

G: Kitchen Sink 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Sugar,

It sounds like you have some fantastic plans in the works and I can't wait to follow along.

The sink and cooktop will need to be installed into the new benchtop. You wouldn't want to damage that new benchtop by removing tiles above it, so I'd suggest that the tiles' removal needs to be done before the bench installation.

I would believe the best sequence would be to remove the benchtop and tiles first and have the new benchtop and splashback installed. Once the benchtop is in, you'll be able to install the stove and sink. The range hood, dishwasher and oven could be installed at any stage.

Let me mention @redracer01, @Mathy and @NickiM to see if they had a preference on what sequence would be best.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
NickiM
Having an Impact

Hi @Sugar , these are great plans and informative pictures.

Having recently had a kitchen makeover myself, the order in which mine was conducted was as follows:

1. Upper cabinets and new range hood installed (as they lean on the bench tops to hoist up the upper cabinetry.)

2. Removal of cooktops & sink, then bench tops and backsplash.

1. Install bench tops with the cut out provisioned for the cooktop & sink
  2. Install the backsplash, as this will need to be caulked around the bench and wall. 

My oven was an under bench oven. If yours is the same, then the oven and dishwasher can happen later. If you’re (re)considering a freestanding oven with stove, then the bench top will have to be cut to measure the size of the oven. 

Ideally, your range hood and stove top are the same size. 

Enjoy your renovation. Look forward to seeing your new kitchen.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Many thanks for sharing your practical firsthand experience @NickiM. I trust @Sugar appreciates your input.

Mitchell

@MitchellMc @NickiM I am very grateful for your advice. 

I am trying to organize my thoughts and questions related to what you guys have said in the previous email. I will ask them in my next comments. 

It is always good learn from you guys. 

Sugar
Having an Impact

@MitchellMc @NickiM After such a long time, we have come to the point where we want to give this project a life. We want to do a full kitchen renovation followed by Hybrid floor installation. However, we want to do the kitchen first that includes, cabinetry, sink, rangehood, new appliances ( dish washer & oven) and benchtop. 

We had few people coming and asked for quotes. Plus we had a person coming from Bunnings. The quote goes from 10K-15K.

It is a big project and not sure what we can do although I have so much interest on things that can be done by ourselves except benchtop, which seem to be needing precise cutting plus measurement. We are not confident.

What you guys suggest what methods and strategies we can implement so that we can finish our this project in economical  :smile:  ? 

Or any examples set by other members where we can grab ideas and tips.

Thanks a lot. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Sugar 

One way to save on your installation is by doing the kitchen demolition yourself. Removing the old kitchen cabinets and benchtop will save you a demolition charge straight away. Another method is to assemble the cabinets yourself, kitchen installers will sometimes add a cabinet assembly charge,

Having the cabinets assembled and positioned in place will save you time and money. Tiling the splashback yourself is another job you can do yourself. Aside from this any electrical and plumbing work will need to be done by the trades people. 

Let me call on our experienced members @redbournreno @homeinmelbourne and @lifestylebymari for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Sugar
Having an Impact

@EricL Many thanks for replying to my queries. I am writing here in more detail with recent pictures of my kitchen. 

Eric - "One way to save on your installation is by doing the kitchen demolition yourself. Removing the old kitchen cabinets and benchtop will save you a demolition charge straight away. Another method is to assemble the cabinets yourself, kitchen installers will sometimes add a cabinet assembly charge,"

We certainly can take out the existing benchtop and cabinet as well. The existing cabinets are also not that bad but I guess we can change them while changing the benchtop. Few tradies suggested to have the angular part of the benchtop removed and make the extension instead as shown in the image below, which we like the idea and which will make us to change whole cabinets of this side of the kitchen. 

Sugar_5-1710507476706.png

Sugar_6-1710507743443.png

@EricL - "Having the cabinets assembled and positioned in place will save you time and money."

Option 1 = We are more than happy to keep this side of the kitchen as it is if there are some way to make these cabinets fresh with color. Howerver, we will be changing the small rectangular benchtop on this. We should be able to easily change the door handles. There are not much damages on this side of the kitchen. 

• We would like to change the oven in this side
  • Put the splashback ( this should not be problem for us to do as well, with little courage)
  • We might need to get like to like rangehood for this case

Option 2 = We can get rid of the whole thing, but do we get to purchase just the cabinet from anywhere ? If we get newish from anywhere, may be we can install them ourselves as well ( with little courage)

• How do we go with cabinets if we want to go with Canopy Rangehood (indicated in the image below)?
  • Will there be a way to fill the gap between top of the cabinet and ceiling ?

Sugar_2-1710506922379.png

Sugar_7-1710507844009.png

@EricL - "Tiling the splashback yourself is another job you can do yourself."

I believe we will be able to do this ourselves in following indicated areas.

Sugar_3-1710507358080.png

Sugar_4-1710507441936.png

@EricL - "Aside from this any electrical and plumbing work will need to be done by the trades people."

For electrical side - We might need to help on installing Oven and Rangehood. Dishwasher should be straight forward and connecting the hose. 

For plumbing side - We will be having new sink and taps as well. We are working on type of taps we would like to use. Currently it is like this: 

Sugar_0-1710506713841.png

but we might be going with this once we have new sink 

Sugar_1-1710506841058.png

Many thanks in advance. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Sugar,

To answer your questions, with that style of rangehood, the cabinets are removed from the area and replaced with it. You'll be losing storage space to achieve that look. However, the ducted rangehood is superior to your current in-cabinet version.

You'd need to install a bulkhead to fill the gap between the cabinetry and ceiling. It's a flat piece of timber or plasterboard extending from the cabinetry upwards. To install the new plasterboard, you'll need to install a timber framework onto which it can be affixed.

Please let us know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects