Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What is the best way to replace the bar to improve this behind tap area ?

Eva3053
Getting Established

What is the best way to replace the bar to improve this behind tap area ?

Hi folks, 

We've moved into a new place recently and this wet area behind the kitchen sink/tap needs some work: The wood has mold and over time, became rotted to the point that I can scoop them out with my fingernail. Replacing the whole window seems to be a big job, we are not there yet so in the meantime I try to replace this wood bar with tile or something better with water. 

I have bought 2 Pine bars (120 cm L x 6.4 cm W x 1.8 H cm) and plan to treat it with mold, pain coat, and put the tile on top. Then I found this amazing forum! So I hope someone can help with the millions of queries in my head:
- Does my plan sounds right?
- I have used a chisel to cut in, after the rotting part the wood apparently very hard 

- So I plan to use the drill, the biggest bit to drill to cut through this. 
- Besides Moldspray and water-resistant paint what else should I buy? 
- Eventually I would like the window replaced, but a bit afraid of that because I don't know how long and how much it takes? 

This is my second DYI, the first one is re-paint some IKEA cupboards. Took an intro class to woodwork (3h) that's why I can identify a chisel. 

Appreciate your suggestions and advice x

cutting in with the chiselcutting in with the chiselScreen Shot 2021-11-09 at 10.28.55 am.pngthis lower bar is 120 cm W x 12.8 L x 2 Hthis lower bar is 120 cm W x 12.8 L x 2 HScreen Shot 2021-11-09 at 10.47.29 am.png

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What is the best way to replace the bar to improve this behind tap area ?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Eva3053. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about replacing rotted timber.

Your plan sounds quite reasonable. If the rest of the timber is solid, you might like to just cut out a section as per the below image. You can then cut a section of your new timber to replace it. You'll need to glue and screw this new section of timber into position. You could then tile over the area. However, the water was likely entering from the gap that I've highlighted with an arrow. The best way to prevent water from entering the timber again would be to place a bead of silicone along the gap covering it up. Placing tiles on the top of the timber won't stop the water from entering it through the gap at the front.

Alternatively, if you wanted to cut the whole timber out and place a new length in there, then I'd suggest using an Ozito 300W Multi Function Tool. It will be much easier than trying to use a drill to cut the timber out. I just wanted to double-check that you are using a chisel and not a scraper. A chisel is very sharp and used with a hammer to cut out timber. A scraper is not very sharp and is used for removing paint. You'll find it very hard to remove timber with the scraper in your picture.

The last option would be to use Selleys Plastibond 150g Heavy Duty Bog on the area to fill it now that you've removed the rotted section. You'd then sand the area flat and paint it or tile over it.

Your cupboards look fantastic and you've done an amazing job on them for your first D.I.Y. project.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Mitchell you're brilliant. thanks so much. I have just swing by Bunnings and bought all of that Glue, silicon and Multi function tool. I plan to just replace, treat the mold, then tile on top :laugh: very ambition given never done this before lol. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Eva3053

It's great that you've received fantastic advice from my colleague @MitchellMc. If you've not done tiling before, I suggest having a look at the links below to give you an idea of what materials you will need and what you will need to do to tile that area. It sounds like a great project. Any updates you can provide would be much appreciated.

The D.I.Y. tiling videos I've mentioned above should help you understand tiling a bit more.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects