Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What to do about this wall stud ... any ideas?

JumBuck
Growing in Experience

What to do about this wall stud ... any ideas?

I have opened up a wall between the kitchen and living room and this wall stud needs to stay.  I am wondering how difficult it will be to gyprock and plaster around it ... I’m not sure how else I can cover it.  Am putting in a kaboodle and there will be a wide bench (and will have to cut the bench top to accomodate the post) coming out from the wall.  Any ideas? 

54BB095B-14D3-4F84-8EE5-C6379E5E974C.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What to do about this wall stud ... any ideas?

Hi @JumBuck,

The difficulty would highly depend on your Gyprocking skills and willingness to give it a go. Have you done much plastering work before? If you want a seamless look, then you'll need to plaster over it using Knauf 3000mm 90 Degree Plaster Trim External Angles on the corners. You should find this step-by-step guide useful: How to attach and plaster an external corner.

Another option would be to clad the stud in finished timber and butt the sheeting up against it. That way you could turn the issue into a feature.

Let me mention @ProjectPete and @TedBear to see if they had some other solutions or would like to add to the conversation.

Please let me know if you have questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
JumBuck
Growing in Experience

Re: What to do about this wall stud ... any ideas?

Thanks for your advice Mitchell,

I don’t think my plastering skills would be up to it and I like the idea of turning it into a feature.  I’ll explore that option a bit more. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects