Workshop
Ask a question

Refreshed kitchen cabinets using paint

Krause
Cultivating a Following

Refreshed kitchen cabinets using paint

KITCH1.png                                                                                                                                 

Finished project.

Hey All,

First time poster/DIY’er so any advice is appreciated and please be kind. What type of paint/brand would you recommend to paint over Melamine kitchen cabinets?

We won’t be selling for a couple more years, so replacement is out of the question. Choice of colour White.

Looking forward to reading your suggestions.

Thanks

6FEB9775-9530-48BB-8FC5-1D2297C27F97.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Help: What type of Paint to use?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Krause. It's great to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about laminate paints.

You'll find loads of discussions in the community from members that have painted their kitchen cabinetry. Check out these 10 kitchens transformed with paint for inspiration.

You need to use a paint designed to be hard-wearing, and that can adhere to laminate with a suitable primer. The Dulux Renovation range is very popular for this type of project and you'll find this step-by-step guide useful: How to paint kitchen cabinets.

Please let us know if you have any questions. We're here to help.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Krause
Cultivating a Following

Thanks @MitchellMc 

I went in with the Dulux renovation primer today after a good wipe down and sand. Will be applying the first top coat tomorrow morning, so wish me luck 🤞

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

That sounds excellent, @Krause. A little tip, don't play with the areas you've painted once they start to become tacky. It'll self-level out most of your brush or roller marks, but if you start touching them, you'll pull up peaks and disturb the surface.

Please keep us updated. I'll be here all day for assistance if needed.

Mitchell

Krause
Cultivating a Following

@MitchellMc such a great tip, I started to doubt myself after seeing a few roller marks when the first coat was down but after a few hours it really did self-level out as you said :smile:

Super excited to see them back in their places once they’ve all been painted. Current progress…

D7AC515E-B4A3-4792-8908-5668FA7C09DA.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Awesome work, @Krause! Playing with the coat is a common reason for an unsatisfactory result. If anything, it's best to wait for it to cure fully and then give the area a light sand to remove imperfections.

I can't wait to see them in place as well. Keep us updated.

Mitchell

Krause
Cultivating a Following

60A53DB6-2B2A-4348-96B5-8DF04810E067.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Wow! That looks fantastic @Krause, so much fresher. I trust you are pleased with your results as you've done a wonderful job.

Many thanks for sharing the completed project, as I trust it will provide our members with some great inspiration.

Mitchell

Hi, I take my hat off to you for not touching the paint once it was applied. I am the opposite and end up having to start again. Plus good advice always helps. I have always had good advice from the Bunnings paint department but knew better until it blows up in my face and I have to go back to Bunnings admit defeat and admit they know more than me. Makes for a laugh though even if at my expense.b🌺

Krause
Cultivating a Following

Thank You @brendawebster44 🥰 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects