Workshop
Ask a question

How to repaint a food-safe ceramic dish?

reneee
Just Starting Out

How to repaint a food-safe ceramic dish?

I have a ceramic dish that I don’t like the pattern on. I’m looking to paint it and still have it food safe afterwards, maybe use it for a fruit bowl or salad bowl or something. What can I use to seal it that gives it a glazed ceramic-like finish that is non-toxic. Thanks!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: repainting a ceramic dish

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @reneee. It's fantastic to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about sealing a bowl.

For a product to be food-safe, it must meet specific regulations. The only products I'm aware of that carry this rating are those designed for food preparation surfaces like chopping boards. Gilly's 200 ml Food Safe Wax would be an example. 

We have non-toxic sealers like Boyle Gloss All In One Glue Sealer Finish which will bind and seal your paint whilst leaving a glossy finish. Since this product doesn't carry a food-safe rating, I'd recommend using the bowl for fruits with skins that will be discarded, like bananas and oranges.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects