Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Bases for Acrylic sheets

lil_bluey_bear
Just Starting Out

Bases for Acrylic sheets

Hi everyone :smile:

I am just wanting to create small wooden stands for some acrylic blanks that I am going to design as decorations around my house/gifts for friends.

Does anyone know whether Bunnings will cut the wood to size including the slot to place the acrylic in?

Photo example attached for reference. 

Screen Shot 2021-02-27 at 12.36.34 am.png

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Bases for Acrylic sheets

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @lil_bluey_bear. It's fantastic to have you join us, and many thanks for your question.

You might like to take a look at this guide I've put together: Does Bunnings cut wood to size?.

The team in-store should be able to cut the lengths of timber you are after. However, there is a minimum length they can cut, and it is best to check with your local store for details.

They do not have the ability to cut the recessed groove along the length. The most proficient way to cut this groove yourself would be with a circular saw. You can set the depth of the blade to correspond with your required groove.

I look forward to following along with your project, and please let me know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Bases for Acrylic sheets

Hello @lil_bluey_bear 

I'm sure you can have your timber cut at Bunnings, however they will not cut that channel for you as it is too fine a cut for the machines at the store. There are several ways to do it. But I think the most cost effective is using a dremmel tool with a multipurpose bit to cut the channel in the timber. I suppose if you were doing a great deal of these displays then it would be worth investing in a table saw. However the dremmel tool has everything you need to cut a channel and still be relatively affordable. It also opens up a host of projects that you can do with your new dremmel tool!!! Doing a general search on google on how to use a dremmel tool with a multipurpose bit will clearly show you how to cut a channel in those pieces of timber. Here's the link to that video I was mentioning :  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTpOAznxl70 I hope this helps and gives you a better idea of how to go about your project. Good luck and stay safe.

Cheers,

Red

Screenshot_2021-03-01 Dremel 130W 3000-1 26 Rotary Multi Tool Kit With 1 Attachment And 26 Accessories.pngScreenshot_2021-03-01 Dremel 561 Spiral Cutting 3 2mm Rotary Tool Accessory.png

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects