Workshop
Ask a question

Basic to beautiful Pine drawers upcycle

theDIYedit
Making a Splash

Basic to beautiful Pine drawers upcycle

I absolutely adore the whole rattan furniture vibe, but couldn't find *exactly* what I wanted in the shops to fit my measly budget. I bought a new, basic untreated pine set of drawers and decided to work my magic! First, I modified the base so that the plinth was removed, and primed and painted the entire unit, before putting it together. I found some raw rattan rolls in one of my local stores for $10 each. The rattan was cut to size, spray painted white and glued onto the fronts of the drawers. I bought some hairpin legs from Bunnings and sprayed them gold (Squirts Gold spray paint is the best shade of gold if anyone is interested - I have tried them all!) as they only had the black ones when I bought them! I bought some mouldings which were also primed and painted, mitred and glued them to the perimeters of the drawers, to hide the rattan edge and to improve the aesthetics. I ran around the house looking for something heavy to use whilst the mouldings were drying, because at this stage as I ran out of clamps. Guess what I used?! Once everything was dry, I caulked, sanded and re-painted the perimeters of the drawers. I then attached the legs and new handles I'd bought online and voilà, the transformation was complete!

IMG_7764.JPG IMG_7678.jpgIMG_7669.JPGIMG_7663.jpgIMG_7665.jpgIMG_7693.JPGIMG_7676.jpgIMG_7719.JPG 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Basic to Beautiful

Another wonderful transformation @theDIYedit

I, too, am a massive fan of rattan furniture. I love the mood and style it creates, but I think there might be some nostalgia involved for me also. I can remember distinctively that as a child, I was mesmerized by the fact that natural material could be woven into such pretty patterns. Here's a tip I learned recently: If you ever have old, aged and discoloured rattan, Feast Watson Woodclean restores it to look brand new. In fact, this product works wonders on all types of timber. I'm highly impressed with the results.

Great idea to paint those legs, and many thanks for the recommendation of White knight Squirts Gold. I always question which gold or chrome will look best when trying to make a selection.

As for your question about guessing what you used as weights, I wonder how many of our members know what weights you used to weigh down the rattan. 😉

Many thanks for sharing, as you've created an amazing piece of furniture that is sure to inspire our members.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi @theDIYedit,

I too believe that weights should not remain in the gym! A very clever tool to make such a stunning coastal meets traditional piece. Thank you for taking us through your process and for the recommendation on products. Really well done. 

@MitchellMc I will have to give Feast Watson Woodclean a try myself for my next upcycle project. 

Katie

Thank you Mitchell! My Gran had a lot of rattan furniture, so it makes me feel nostalgic too. Sometimes when I upcycle furniture, I find that the vision in my head doesn't always have the same end result, but on this occasion, it worked out well! Thanks so much for the tip on rejuvenating rattan - I have a few pieces at home, so I will be sure to take extra good care of them now. 

Thank you Katie, your comments are appreciated! 😊

Tashie
Just Starting Out

Re: Basic to beautiful Pine drawers upcycle

Stunning!!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Basic to beautiful Pine drawers upcycle

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Tashie. It's wonderful to have you join us and great to see you've found this project inspiring.

Were you considering an upcycling project like this? I trust you'll find many similar projects within the community contributed by our talented members. 

We're keen to hear all about your plans and projects around the house and garden. Please let us know anytime you need assistance or have something to share.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects