Workshop
Ask a question

How to build a race sim cockpit?

missunderwood
Getting Established

How to build a race sim cockpit?

5F840B53-3792-43DD-91C8-5921BB727980.jpeg

I have been asked to build a racing seat/cockpit and I’m just wondering if anyone has built one previously or have any plans that they’d be happy to share. I’m just a bit stumped where to start and looking for ideas. Thanks in advance. 

woodenwookie
Making a Splash

Re: Building a race sim cockpit

I have a mate who’s an upholsterer by trade (although retired) and he was asked to build a new seat for a 1908 Merc I think it was. He used 3mm ply and bent it to shape then did another layer and glued it. Very strong and rigid and then he just put the seat cushion together.

Could be a way to look at.
redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Hello @missunderwood there are many plans on the internet and youtube all ranging from a sunlounge to a simple 30x70 timber frame. It all depends on the complexity,buget and time you are willing to spend. Did you want a very adjustable wheel away set or something that will stay permanent in place? It does get heavy once assembled and is difficult to move. A little bit of research on "diy car simulator" will yield heaps of results. Once you see something doable send us the link and we can point you in the right direction for materials and process.

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Great to see you make your first post @missunderwood and get a couple of very helpful replies to kick off the discussion. We're really looking forward to seeing this project come together!

Welcome to Workshop. Please let me know if you ever need a hand getting the most from the site or have any feedback about how we can improve Workshop for you.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks everyone.
I have quickly trawled the net for possible designs but haven’t really found anything suitable, they either seem far too complex or mundane and too simple.
I will try and post a pic shortly of the type of simulator I’ve been asked to build and we can go from there. Thanks again for taking the time to provide comments or advice. It’s much appreciated.

Hi @missunderwood,

Hope all is well.

Just wondering whether you ever proceeded with this project? We have a new community member wanting to build something similar.

All the best,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects