Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do you make a D.I.Y. whiteboard for a home office?

ghowe145
Getting Established

How do you make a D.I.Y. whiteboard for a home office?

Hi all,

I am hesitant to purchase a proper whiteboard online (so expensive!) when I could possibly make one myself. Has anyone done this? Bunnings has the Aligloss White/Black Composite Panel that says it has a:

• High gloss finish
  • Ideal for sign writing
  • Internal or external use
  • Ideal for white marker boards

I am curious if anyone has tried this particular material or has another method to try.

Thanks all,

Georgie

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do you make a D.I.Y. whiteboard for a home office?

Hello @imcodebased

Thank you for joining the discussion. The A&I Coatings 750ml White Board Write Wall Paint Kit is actually a polyurethane product and creates a smooth sealed surface for you to use as a whiteboard marker on. Here is a link to their - TDS if you wish to see more information. It sounds like a fantastic project, any updates you can provide would be much appreciated.

If you need more advice and information, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Brizzylassy
Just Starting Out

Hi.,,

How did you go with the Whiteboard?  Are marks showing after two years? 

@Brizzylassy 

Marks will show up on most whiteboards at some point due to ink getting stuck in any scratches that form over time through heavy use (Unless you're using a glass whiteboard) I find the best way to clean these marks off is with a dedicated whiteboard cleaner. Isopropyl alcohol also works a treat as well :smile: 

Alternatively you could use some cutting compound and a DA polisher to get the surface nice and level again and buff out any scratches. If it works a treat on car clear coat (Which is usually a polyurethane 2-pack clear)  it should do a good job on Aligloss or Signbond composite clads. Be sure to give it a good polish afterwards, but do not use any wax, as the wax will get taken off and ruin your pens! 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Brizzylassy 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you for joining the discussion.

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @oheyitsbeano. Let me tag @ghowe145 to make sure they are aware of your question. It is unavoidable, you'll eventually get marker shadows on the board because of the imperfections and scratches on the surface of the board. 

I've always used Diggers 125ml Isopropyl Cleaning Alcohol on my son's white board and it has always cleaned it up really well.   

Should you decide to give the A&I Coatings 750ml White Board Write Wall Paint Kit a go, please make sure to post an update. I'm sure our members will be keen to see the kind of board surface it produces.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

imcodebased
Cultivating a Following

Hi, How did you directly fix the Aligloss panels on the wall? Did you put any board at the back with an angle like in the below picture?

Of course, I cannot nail the panel and don't know if liquid nails can be enough to take the load.

I want to look at my wall like this with Easycraft 2400 x 1200mm 9mm Lining Panel White MRMDF Primed Regency:WhatsApp Image 2023-05-19 at 6.27.52 PM.jpegWhatsApp Image 2023-05-19 at 6.30.33 PM.jpeg

Hi @imcodebased,

It would be best if you secured the panels to the wall with fixings, as adhesive might have difficulty sticking to the gloss surfaces. If you didn't want to fix through the boards, perhaps you could use a combination of adhesive and a trim piece installed under the boards. The QEP 2.5m x 10mm Mosaic White Tile Trim would be a suitable trim piece that you could screw into the wall. It would bear some of the weight, and the adhesive would pin the sheeting back to the wall. In order to use a construction adhesive, you'd need to scratch the rear aluminium skin with 40-grit sandpaper to provide something for the glue to bite into. If you were to use adhesive, it would be best to apply it around the perimeter of the sheets and across their midsections. Avoid applying too much in any one section, as it will give a lumpy finish to the board. A QEP 75 x 1.6mm V Notch Adhesive Floor Spreader will help you get an even coating and spread the adhesive.

I'd imagine that a quality double-sided tape like Scotch-Mount 2.54 x 1016 cm Extreme Double-Sided Mounting Tape Mega Roll would also work. I'd recommend using the whole roll per sheet and having the tape go around the perimeter of the sheets and a couple of runs across the middle.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects