Workshop
Start a discussion

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to convert ottoman bed lid to fold and become headboard?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: converting ottoman bed lid to fold and become headboard

I've been having a look at those angles @Nellstar. My only concern is that the panel might contact the bed frame. If it does, could you remove the struts? Are they needed as the top is very heavy? If you could remove them, the panel attached to the bottom could be lent slightly back to clear the bed frame. Obviously, the bottom ottoman would need to be spaced somewhat out from the wall.

Here's some rendering I've created to have a look at the issue.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Nellstar
Junior Contributor

Yes I can definately unscrew the gas struts from the base of the ottoman and move them to give more angle to the lid, this could also solve some of the issue of the lid sitting on the struts when open ...thanks for the tip!

tom_builds
Experienced Contributor

Hi @Nellstar,

Love the project you're tackling. Having had a look through the comments I would also go with removing the gas struts to enable the folding mechanism to function without connecting with the bed, or having to rest on the struts themselves.

@MitchellMc's drawings are an excellent resource, the only thing I can add is I would consider adding a fastener to secure the headboard in the folded position to stop it from unfolding of its own volition.

Best of luck,

Tom

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects