Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to ensure a timber waterfall desk is sturdy?

theDIYedit
Making a Splash

How to ensure a timber waterfall desk is sturdy?

Hello everyone, 

I am creating a timber waterfall desk for my office, which I will make using 2 x Specrite pine panels

The desk will be the full 2100mm wide, with mitred edges either side for a seamless look. I will be using some strong adhesive for the joins, but what else should / could I use to ensure that the side panels are well-attached and the desk remains sturdy please? I have a nail gun but I am concerned about the pins or nail heads showing. 

Thank you in advance, 

Lauren

@theDIYedit 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Timber Waterfall Desk

Hi Lauren (@theDIYedit),

You'll need to use at least a couple of brackets on either side or something to stop diagonal movement. These can be set at the middle and back so to obscure their view from the front. Or, you could glue and screw a section of 30 x 30mm Tasmanian oak on the underside of the join. Once again, this can be set back from the front so it can't be seen. This will give you a block of timber that you can screw through into the underside of the top and the leg section.

Another option is to install a timber plate onto the wall and use it to secure the top and sides. It will give you a solid mount to screw into that will stop any sideways forces applied to the table. I've created the rendering below to illustrate.

Let me mention @JoeAzza and @marliemakesit to see if they have any thoughts.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Tab.png

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

@MitchellMc thanks so much! This is perfect. 😊

Hi @theDIYedit, great to see that you are making a waterfall table, it will look great when finished.

just make sure you use good quality glue, also for added strength as @MitchellMc suggested with timber along the back of the top and side of the table installed along the back wall, you will also need to clamp the bevelled edges of the timber, to do this , you need to clamp the top and side together to get a good seamless joint, there’s a lot of YouTube video’s that show how it’s done.

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to ensure a timber waterfall desk is sturdy?

Hello @theDIYedit,

Trust you've been well. I wanted to check with how you went with building the desk for your office. Did you manage to complete it?

Would love to see any updates or photos.

Many thanks,

Akanksha

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects