Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to hang a 31kg mirror on a wall without stud?

Serveh
Cultivating a Following

How to hang a 31kg mirror on a wall without stud?

Hi Everyone, 

Would you please help me to find out if it is possible to hang a heavy mirror on a wall without stud. I found some heavy duty/ stud free hooks (below link) but are they reliable?

https://www.bunnings.com.au/zenith-40kg-zinc-plated-surehook-stud-free-picture-hanger_p3930271

Serveh
Cultivating a Following

Re: How to hang a 31kg mirror on a wall without stud?

Hi @Sugar ,

So sorry for the delay.

We ended up using 2 of https://www.bunnings.com.au/zenith-40kg-zinc-plated-surehook-stud-free-picture-hanger_p3930271.

And worked for us however, as @Jason mentioned it's always better to go with stud if you can.

Sugar
Having an Impact

@Serveh @Jason 

Thank you for your suggestion. 

I use stud on the left side of the mirror and I used this product: https://www.bunnings.com.au/ramset-wallmate-twist-n-lock-4-pack_p2260138

on the right side (because the mirror support did not fall on the stud). The total weight of the mirror itself was 13KG. It looks nice and firm. I think it worked for me. 

131437465_200495318439887_83457659633321212_n.jpg

Serveh
Cultivating a Following

That looks stunning. Well don!

@Serveh - nice project. May I know where did you get this mirror? It’s just gorgeous. 

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi @mj123,

Thanks for joining the discussion, @Serveh really does have a gorgeous mirror don't they? I had a quick search and found that if I use the terms vintage ornate bevelled rectangular mirror I was able to find similar style mirrors. Do you have a particular wall you are thinking a mirror like this for? 

I hope you are finding Workshop to be inspirational and helpful, we look forward to reading about all your projects and plans. 

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @KatieC , thank you for the pointer. I will look up for such mirrors.

I started looking into this discussion thread because I had already located one such heavy large mirror but I guess I will search some more. The suggestion of using "Zenith 40kg Zinc Plated SureHook Stud Free Picture Hanger" is helpful. I will use the same for my project on one side. The other side I have a stud so can put a regular hook. But if you or others have any suggestion on a particular hook which I can use which leaves very less gap between wall and mirror then please let me know.

Regards. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @mj123

It's great that you've received excellent advice from my colleague. At the moment the mounting method you mentioned is currently the only one that has the least amount of gap. Alternate methods such as placing a timber or panel brace on the wall will produce a noticeable gap behind the mirror. The only other method you can use is to remove the plasterboard and install a timber nog on the inside stud wall and replaster it. This of course is the most involved as it will require you to disassemble part of your wall.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your mirror installed and ready for use.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects